Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,550   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Documentary of "undocumented" moments?

I have a feeling that this argument goes into an endless philosophical discussion in vain, and we'll never get out of it.

But what I understand the word "documentary" is more like referring to the news picture whether it's cinema or still. It's basically a talking-head style of telling stories.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    So how we can make precise definition for documentary photography that will make it as a unique category?
    Why is this important? I'm not convinced that such distinctions are needed.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    While one could produce a "happy" documentary series of photos (for example, a Presidential inauguration) - I think the genre is generally associated with "exposing ills" - be they social wrongs, the horror of war, disasters (e.g. the Tsunami), or famines etc.
    Depending on the president, the inauguration might be a disaster, too...

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

Otherwise I agree completely.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jstraw
    "Oy. Now I gotta disagree on the other side of the equation. Plenty of photographic genres have a ligitimate use of styling....food photography...still life...portraiture...figure study...archetectural photography...all manner of commercial photography..."

I think I got what you mean with "styling" (=arranging before the shot). And all of that above is true you said. One can add and add and remove... But when once he shoot it it was there. It was true moment and arangament. Camera and photog documented what was there. Now how I can say it is not a document of what was there. Use of a photograph is a different story.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Why is this important? I'm not convinced that such distinctions are needed.
    Clarifying vocabulary would be one useful reason, discriminating between objects of study would be another. Personnally I think these questions open up to larger debates, in this case the question of truth in photography. Sometimes at the end of the debate you chuck the original question because of the typical philosopher's attitude "that's not a very good question."

Not that I think definitions always need to be sharp-edged, and I don't agree with the OP's desire to find a tight-sealed category for documentary photography. One is more likely to find a few basic principles, an overarching logic, uncover some fundamental insights on truth and photo, apprehend a dazzling display of variability between works, and find that documentary aspects are spread out wider than only within a single category of photos.

But everybody hates categories because they are soooo evil and restrictive ("How dare you label me!") so none of the distinctions and caveat regarding them that I'm raising will even be considered in this thread.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Documentary photography, strickly speaking, prohibits adding or removing elements or otherwise staging photographs. Documentary photography is tradtionally, in no way predisposed towards exposing ills..though that sort of work is often more dramatic or memorable. National Geographic is almost entirely documentary photography and it skews hard towards the positive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maris I just have to thanks for your brilliant post. It is not first time I see so useful and educational comments from you.
    Holding that all photographs are documentary, now I think that -documentary photography- has to be defined as an imaginary category, category that actually exist only with a purpose to classify work into some specific field.

Documentary photography is a portrait of the time when it is made, and it depicts unnecessary social issue.

Now I know what I am doing. Studio family portrait is not a (imaginary) documentary photograph for it does not depict unnecessary social issue.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    Documentary photography is a portrait of the time when it is made, and it depicts unnecessary social issue.
    Nonsense. Documentary photography is simply telling a story visually, without employing fiction.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Documentary photography, strickly speaking, prohibits adding or removing elements or otherwise staging photographs. Documentary photography is tradtionally, in no way predisposed towards exposing ills..though that sort of work is often more dramatic or memorable. National Geographic is almost entirely documentary photography and it skews hard towards the positive.
    This is a very good observation. The idea of "documenting" is, strictly speaking, "reportage of reality". It should be valid "within its four corners" as would be the case with a legal document.

And I concur that National Geographic has been an example of "positive" positive documentary photography - particularly through its mid-20th Century editions. More contemporarily, I do believe that it too has used the documentary form to highlight "ills" - particularly as regards environmental degradation and the negative consequences of globalization on native cultures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    photography is documentary, it is the nature of a camera to record. if the operator of the camera alters the fstop shutter speed, double exposes, filters, prints with a heavyhand, tones, bleaches, collages, solarizes et C. ... s/he has just distorted reality, but it is still some sort of reality that was distorted to begin with. the camera just stops time, the operator/printer/viewer interprets what the camera grabs.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin