Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,397   Online: 754

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Maybe it's a good idea to save your photos electronically somewhere else other than your own house, but if the output is only 72dpi, well...
    Like many people, you confuse output with display. Your monitor may display 72 or 96 dpi, but all displays map one "dot" per pixel. DPI is not a relevent metric for output, it's a relevant metric for input only. If you scan at 9600 dpi and your display is 96 dpi, an inch of your scan will take 100 inches to display. If you want to make an image that you can see all of on a monitor, you will have to downsample it. But your archives scan can be of a very high resolution, far higher than is practical for display on a monitor.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago, after quite a bit of photography, just before I made twenty, my girlfriend expressed interest in my work, I got everything together, all of my work, took it over to her apartment, she loved the stuff and asked if she could keep it for while to go over it. We fell out bigtime, and before I could get my prints and negatives, she left town, with my all of my work, all of it.

This was very depressing, there was one image that I took in McArthur park, that was very dear to me, everyone who saw that shot loved it. For a long time, I expected/hoped that she would send me those pictures, my first serious work, and over the years I just accecpted it wasn't going to happen.

The good thing about all of this, is that no matter how bad you got it, there are untold millions in the cemetery that would trade places with you, me, anybody still upright.

My boy is nine, I've almost lost him three times, when he was born he wasn't breathing, they cleared his windpipe, but I stayed shook for quite a while, the second time, he runs out the house and is almost run over, third time, he almost chokes to death on a piece of hot dog, even after getting the hot dog bits out of his lungs, his windpipe spasms shut and they work on him overnight to get it open so he can breath without a tube.

I could've lost my boy, but he's nine now, gigantic, and he wants to be a photographer. If my house caught fire, I would save the snaps and candids of my family and kids no matter what, before my cameras, or whatever else valuable I had in the house.

I agree with most of what's said earilier in this post, if your house is on fire, particularly with me having a family, saving my best print won't be on my mind. If you're my age, then you already know what I'm about to say, and if you're not, I'd just say that life will be a series of tragedies, setbacks, loses, of not just you, but of people around you that you care about.

Life is precious, the older you get, the more you understand. Some folks need to take risks mountainclimbing or jumping out of a plane to feel a 'rush' or to gamble with their lives, as for me, if you live long enough, you and your loved ones and friends, and even your enemies will have plenty of crisis to deal with over your lifetime, and it won't always be at a moment of your choosing.

Life is precious.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Like many people, you confuse output with display. Your monitor may display 72 or 96 dpi, but all displays map one "dot" per pixel. DPI is not a relevent metric for output, it's a relevant metric for input only. If you scan at 9600 dpi and your display is 96 dpi, an inch of your scan will take 100 inches to display. If you want to make an image that you can see all of on a monitor, you will have to downsample it. But your archives scan can be of a very high resolution, far higher than is practical for display on a monitor.
    Thanks for the correction. No, I meant the resolution size of a file that's already saved in a web-friendly manner, like you scan a print or neg by setting your scanner at 100 percent at 72dpi and save it in a size that is 600 or 800 pixels wide on one side and so on. You get this tiny low-res file in the first place in jpg, which is not printable at all. That's all I meant. It's good to protect your work from someone tryng to copy or steal it from you, but it doesn't do any good for the quality in case of emergency when you need to use it as a backup, unless you stick to the view on a computer monitor screen and not print out at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am in agreement with most here, no need to pick out that one favorite in some silly gameplaying role. Besides, I keep half my equipment in the main house, the other half in the back studio that doubles as my darkroom and woodshop, and my best work printed seems to be camped out in a portfolio under my desk at work. Why? I don't remember.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last summer (6 June 2006, 6/06/06, how's that for numerology??), the appartment that my brother and his gf (now wife) shared caught on fire. There is a picture of it in my gallery, In Memoriam.

It was gone in an hour, the whole thing burned extremely fast because it was a 19thC house insulated with sawdust. They lost almost everything, saved only what they had on themselves at the moment, but two things miraculously survived. One is my bro's digital camera. Yes, we all mock them, but that one was kept inside a heavy filing cabinet, which saved it. The other thing was the external hard drive containing their backup for their respective in-progress PhD theses. Believe me, you don't like to lose five years worth of work. And a little plastic box containing a photo I made of them on Ilford RC survived as well.

It never struck me at the moment that everything else was gone. The one thing that mattered was that they were unharmed. It's only during the following weeks that by remembrance I realized the extent of the loss. Old books we had as children that my bro kept: gone. Kitchen tools: gone. And so on. I still sometimes think of something he used to have, and only then do I understand that it's gone forever. The process of memory is what made the fire real, not the actual event.

When they came at my house to sleep for a few nights, I took a Polaroid of them. It was an eerie feeling for us all to have something so immediate and tangible of their presence, after everything vanished.

So when I think about what would happen to myself, I would bemoan the loss of my old negatives, my old prints, my books, my computer, and other things that I have around. But I can accept the loss in exchange for my life and that of my girlfriend.

If anything happened now, and I had a chance, I would perhaps grab the computer and the binder of negs, but I don't even count on it. I'm writing an MA thesis, so losing all my information would be a huge setback; my negs are my most personal work so far, and you can't redo them.

Sometimes we realize that the things we lost were not important, or that we are stronger than our material possession, though it's a long travail to reconnect with the world when everything is gone. Nevertheless, in the circumstances of a total loss, I know I would not be lost because I have my friends and my family. They have in their hands a part of myself that will never disappear physically. They know me, they will show me who I am again. Some might even have an old print I left them that I will gladly see again. But it's because my being is also spread in theirs that I know I cannot be annihilated in a single physical blow. I don't have a religion to console me, but I have this knowledge instead, and these people.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the early nineties, I loaned a gorgeous, three-lens turreted, 16mm Bolex to my brother. I hadn't made any use of it yet and he had studied film and communications at UMASS and was interested in it. It was pristine. At the time, he was sharing an apartment with one of the members of Buffalo Tom and another friend, a graphic artist that at the time was working out of the home and building a big body of work that in part had been on behalf of the Northeast music scene. At thanksgiving, we were all gathered in Chicago when word came that the apartment building had burned to the ground. I was disappointed to lose the Bolex. It was tragic that Bob lost all of his work. The three young men lost pretty much everything they all owned in the world. My brother was fortunate to have a suitcase full of clothes survive the fire. The only really important thing is that no one that lived in that building was hurt.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I lost almost everything I had in a fire long before I was serious about photography. I arrived as the firemen had just put it out. Luckily no one was home. The thing I grieved over the most was the photographs of my children when they were babies and family members long gone. Perhaps this is why I became serious about photography. I never really thought about it until I read this thread.
    Last edited by Gay Larson; 01-18-2007 at 09:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    NOTE TO SELF:

Never post a "disaster hypothetical" here to encourage people to talk about their favorite work.

Instead they will talk about their own, or others, diseases, disasters and disappointments!

Folks, the OP simply MADE UP A STORY in order to encourage you to talk about which of your work you are most proud of!

His house did not really burn down. And for those who said they'd grab their cameras - his hypothosis told you that they'd fried - ditto the negatives etc.

He was simply establishing a premise.

All of this was to get you to focus on what is your most favorite of favorite prints!

Not tell sob stories! :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh...then you want the "what picture would you take with you to a desert island" scenario!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Oh...then you want the "what picture would you take with you to a desert island" scenario!
    No, I don't want it - the OP did!

Maybe it's because of my legal training that I am used to reading hypotheticals and then responding based on the parameters established therein?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin