Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,560   Online: 989

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE

You are just returning home from a very nice night out. Good food, good company. A little vino. It's all good. It is 2AM and you are ready to hit the sack. As you turn the corner and see your house you can't believe your eyes. YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE!. You run up to the front door and look in. Smoke, flames, in the distance you hear the wail of a fire engine. What can you do? Cry? Curse the heavens? Not you. You barge through the door meaning to save something of your life, and of course this means something photographic (no people or animals are ever in danger in any of my short fiction). A quick perusal through the blackening mess shows that your cameras are toast. Your negatives have all been thoroughly carmelized. Your prints. Perhaps you can save your prints. There is little time left. The fire, the smoke the horror of it all. Out of the corner of your eye you see where your prints were kept. Unbelievably the only box left is marked MY VERY BEST PHOTOGRAPHS. You quickly put it under your arm and bolt for the door. But being the clumsy bastard that you are you stumble and all your photographs go flying around the room. You must make a quick, instinctive decision. You only have time to scoop up one print. You pick up this print and make it to the safety of the outdoors. A quick look around shows that it really wasn't such a catastrophy
    after all. The brave firemen and women saved your house. Except for the room where you stored everything photographic. Standing in the light of the street lamp you look down at the print that you chose to save. This is the best of the best. You smile and nod and think to youreself," I made the right choice".
    Well, which photograph did you instinctively save? Yes, you have to pretend it is you in this drama. Describe the photograph. I double dog dare you to show it to us.

Severian, Autarch of Urth, Journeyman in the Society of the Seekers of Truth and Penitence. Jack B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you just make up a story, or you are serious.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'll bite

A thirty-three year old B/W 8X10 glamour/lingerie shot of my stunningly beautiful wife at age 22. Ektalure paper diffused with white mesh while printed. Don't peek often, but still takes my breath away...the photo & the Lady.

Post it!?! I'd like to see tommorrow, thanks anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photos are not one of the first things I worry about but if it's feasible, I grab the negative files.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you are extraordinarily fortunate, you didn't inhale a lungful of searingly hot fire gas while you were in the house, and you are actually able to show us anything...

...but never mind my photograph, I want to see jolefler's!!!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    (A) No, my house isn't on fire

(B) There's enough stress in real life without inventing this sort of stuff.

When your wife has had cancer, and has survived (7 years this year), but is currently suffering from PPR* which means she has to rest a lot and can't even spend as much time in the darkroom as she'd like, you stop worrying about an awful lot of nasty things that MIGHT happen, and creating hypothetical adrenaline rushes, and you settle down to enjoying things, not drawing doomsday scenarios.

You also stop worrying about anything as trivial as photographs.

To quote Churchill (from memory), "I have had a lot of trouble in my life, most of which never happened."

Cheers,

R.

*Pseudopolyarthrite rhizomelique in French; in English, I think it's polymyalgia. It goes away, but this can take months or years. As the name suggests, it mimics (pseudo) arthritis (arthrite) and wanders from joint to joint (hence poly). The aches, Frances reckons, are like the worst 'flu she's ever had -- and although some days are better than others, with no pain at all, some days and even weeks are pretty bad.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    (A) No, my house isn't on fire

(B) There's enough stress in real life without inventing this sort of stuff.
    I have to agree with Roger's comments above. I hope Frances feels better soon.

Diane
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'll be a spoilsport and say that my best photograph is the one I'll take tomorrow -- it is not worth risking my life for any I have already made...I want to be around to help my boys grow up. Besides, I already have my "best" photos at a couple of galleries.

But to play your game, I would probably fry in the fire if I had to choose the "best of the best" from 30 years of photography...but the image I would save would be a carbon print of an oak tree along the Merced River. After I made the print I found out that AA had photographed and printed an image of the same tree (what hasn't he photographed in Yosemite?!).

It is a vertical 8x10, the roots take up the bottom 3/4s of the image with just some of the lower trunk of the tree showing, with the river behind it, showing just a little of the opposite bank. I'll post an image of it later.

Funny thing is, there is a copy at it at the AA Gallery -- so why save a photo I know exists safely somewhere else? And I do not keep my negatives at home, so the negative was in no danger. Well, my early carbon printing often damaged my negatives, so I will not be able make more of this particular image anyway. This image was one of the first very successful prints I made with a raised relief -- in particularthe pine needles amongst the roots "stand out" on the print. So the print carries some emotional value besides being the "best of the best".

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd take my camera. With that I can always make more pics.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    ...but never mind my photograph, I want to see jolefler's!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin