Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,679   Posts: 1,669,351   Online: 786

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a unique title indicates that the artist cares about the work and values it as an individual piece

what does "Untitled" convey? i don't care! it's just one of many! it's a throwaway! i couldn't be bothered to go that extra step!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    a unique title indicates that the artist cares about the work and values it as an individual piece

what does "Untitled" convey? i don't care! it's just one of many! it's a throwaway! i couldn't be bothered to go that extra step!
    I think intelligent people can have differing views on this. I take the position that a photograph of mine should speak for itself and that I'm not interested in using words to either support the image or give it something that isn't already present. But see, that's because that works for the kind of phtography that intersests me. I've seen plenty of images where titling is relevent to the work.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have no rules, except I dont think people should give detailed locality information for landscape photos of untrammeled places. The world is too small now. Let people find these few places for themselves, dont go giving directions. A good landscape photo needs nothing more than "Yellowstone National Park" or "San Juan Mountains" or "Fall colors in Utah". Because if its a really good photo you can count on a whole flock of photo-lemmings beating their way there ASAP to get their own great picture, and so the out of the way place suddenly becomes known at an exponential rate. If its Old Faithful, who cares, thats already ruined.

I have seen emotive titles that work good for me, and some that dont. Its definitely a risk, and some people dont have the knack for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As one who has been entangled in setting up some art shows, there is a practical issue about titles. If an artist can submit multiple pieces to a juried show, tracking two or three pieces all with no title or specifically labeled "Untitled" is a real PITA. We once badgered a guy into making his two submissions "Untitled #1" and "Untitled #2" so if one got rejected and one didn't we could keep it straight in the gallery stubs. If the works are for sale, the artist might like to be sure the big one for $500 didn't get sold as its $150 mate too.

As one who both paints and photographs, I agree that titles can be a pain -- and sometimes too cute (or too long), but I usually try to come up with something -- sometimes just one word. The one word might be fairly indirect, I once titled a shot of a gnarly ancient tree "Time." (Won a prize too!)

DaveT

Images
    I once entered a juried show with an untitled photo, which then won an award. It was a great boost to the ego! But I can't bring myself to display the beautiful wooden plaque that was awarded, with the brass mounting proclaiming blah blah blah "...for the photograph 'Untitled' ".
    So now I usually use descriptive place (or model) names, unless there immediately comes to mind an appropriate title that fits and enhances the photo.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A good photograph deserves a good name. A poor photograph needs a good name!

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Titles are up to the artist. Simple, descriptive, eloquent, interpretive titles that also include the location and year image was made can distinguish an image from others.

Nothing wrong with changing the title of an image with something more fitting either.

Here is something recent I did where I feel the title works well with the image;

http://narrationsinlight.com/narrati...vyholmdel2.htm
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin