Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,438   Online: 1032

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the most famous and influential of early abstract paintings was called "Eight Red Rectangles". For me at least it is a literally amazing feat, a creation of something out of nothing. One aspect of the amazement is the contrast between the breath of experience the painting offers and the minimal means it uses to accomplish its aims. The title pulls the same trick in language, or at least, highlights this aspect with its own inadequacy as a description.

The red rectangles are safely in the canon of Western art history. Whether you agree with me or not about their effect and greatness, you cannot deny their inflluence.

The number of objects titles are now so widespread in photography that there are certainly many photographers who use them without any desire to identify with - to them - obscure Russian painters. But I can't believe that someone like Michael Kenna is unaware of the history of the genre, and I can't believe that when he titles a photo n-birds or m-posts he is not also signposting the inadequacy of literal description, i.e. he is suggesting the viewer try a more poetic, associative response, and not merely inviting them to get out a magnifying glass and tally stick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think evocotive titles usually come off as pretentious. To me, thye usually distract from the image and seem to be an attempt help the image accomplish something the photography has failed to do.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The ones that make you realize they are provocative are failed titles themselves.

Just because it has been done poorly a thousand times doesn't take anything away from the validity of a good, thoughtful title.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joshverd View Post
    The ones that make you realize they are provocative are failed titles themselves.

Just because it has been done poorly a thousand times doesn't take anything away from the validity of a good, thoughtful title.

It would help e to understand if you could give me some examples of well titled photographs.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    It would help e to understand if you could give me some examples of well titled photographs.
    YATTI!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    YATTI!
    Hmm?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    On other hand, I've always scatched my head in wonderment whenever I see a photograph with the title: "Untitled".

It's always amazed me how no two of them look the same!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin