Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,017   Online: 873

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    .......'So, helping out a friend or someone in need is great. I also look at my start with watercolor painting. I never would have even started if it was not for the niceness of the the art teacher here at the school. his time is way more than I could spend and he went insane helping me. I asked one simple question and the next thing I knew I was handed watercolor paints, paper, a how too book and he spet several hours showing me how to get started and we had a great time.

No real point aside from, not everything is about money all the time. SOme times it is about being nice.

Too each their own I guess.'.....................

...........While this is absolutely true, I disagree that this is the point of what's being said here.

I've was mentored over the years by several folks in learning photography, and eternally grateful for that. I recently mentored a young photographer because I liked him and his family, and because I believe he's going to be an excellent photographer, I critiqued his work, worked w/him on some lighting set-up, I helped him set up his studio in his garage, I went out shooting w/him to give him tips, I've had him over to my house for dinner, and we've had dinner w/his family. When we discussed his wondering what I expected from my helping him, I told him I like him and his family and expected no pay, and that any payment he felt obligated to give me, sould be in the form of his eventually passing on what I showed him to somebody deserving.

As Matt King said, I don't mind giving a 'freebee', or giving something away, or helping someone in need, but I need it to be my idea, ......................not from somebody who's trying to hustle it out of me.

I for one, am not being 'all about money', I've done this long enough to know when my clients have any money, I could've gouged a couple of my clients who I knew were rolling in money, one of 'em was a girlfriend of my wifes, she has an EXTREMELY lucrative business providing Kidney dialysis(ask the doctors around here about what that costs), and I gave her a decent price even though I could've charged her more. One of the reasons I gave her a good prices was that even though she and my wife went to school together, she told me before the job that she didn't expect any discount. ....................And ironically, one of the most 'STINGIEST' clients I ever had was rich.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a huge difference between choosing to give and letting yourself be taken. When someone has an angle, there is no shame in protecting yourself. That is NOT a lack of generosity.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this kid old enough to get into a community college darkroom/photography class as a non-matriculated student? Maybe that could be suggested to deflect the whole thing.

And then there's always the old "My consulting rate is $105 per hour, but for you I'll do it for $85."

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting stuff!! Whether I agree or disagree with the statements made here...I have to say that I thank you all for taking time to respond to my question. It is much appreciated.

We've decided that, while there is definitely no 'miscommunication' as to this couples intent in the matter, we will offer any help we can, but inform them of an hourly rate for teaching and darkroom setup. That should resolve any misunderstandings.

Again, thank you!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin