Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,964   Posts: 1,632,447   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think they are two different markets: "posters" and photographs.

The posters are for entry level buyers that want something to look pretty on their wall, for god sake, their being sold through some sort of home decoration outlet. These are people who otherwise wouldn't have encountered you possibly. Now I know you have a name for yourself...but these buyers aren't looking for a 'Bill Schwab,' are they?

The actual photographs will be more for the art enthusiast/photography collectors. These two markets wouldn't really overlap.

I'd say if you can get them to sweeten the deal a bit more (quite a bit more) for you, take it, if nothing else consider it a cheap advertisement for your photographs hanging in someones house!

Let us know how it turns out.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have battled with this myself. There is a certain amount of marketing that helps get your work out in the public. I have allowed a select few images of mine to be put out in a mass produced fashion in order to help people recognize my name and work. I also want to make sure I have something available for those that might not be able to enter the market due to not being well established in life. I offer other prints as digital reproductions, but on the back of the print it is stated as such and they are not signed. I have a number of cards that I sell as well in this way.

As to taking 5% from any image sold to others, especially signed, I would say, "No way!"

Even with one commercial art distributer I will take 30% of the sale price plus reproduction costs as they allow me to produce the work, either digital, or with the wet darkroom. These are works sold to companies to decorate their offices.

What I worry about most is what will the sale of such an image in this form do to the value of my work that is currently out there, owned by collectors.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    What I worry about most is what will the sale of such an image in this form do to the value of my work that is currently out there, owned by collectors.
    Exactly... a poster is one thing and they do work well for branding and name recognition. I accept this and am grateful for the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by joshverd
    Now I know you have a name for yourself...but these buyers aren't looking for a 'Bill Schwab,' are they?

... The actual photographs will be more for the art enthusiast/photography collectors. These two markets wouldn't really overlap.
    Ahh... but they will when you start talking about signed prints at these prices. I know I am very far from a household name... I am certainly not fooling myself there. That makes this even more ridiculous. Are you going to pay $400.00 for a signed poster? They are only a few hundred dollars less than my galleries sell "real" prints to start. That would be in direct conflict I think.

The more I think about this, the more it turns me off. It's really nothing more than the "Wal Mart-ization" of art if you ask me.

Bill
    Last edited by bill schwab; 02-07-2007 at 03:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    It's really nothing more than the "Wal Mart-ization" of art if you ask me.

Yes, quite.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd ask, the business deal aside, do you want your images seen as these giclee prints (signed or unsigned). If you do, then the price is the issue. If you don't but you could be swayed by the right price, then there's a different issue. The distinction between *the right price for something you're perfectly comfortable with* and *the price required to get you to do something you're not comfortable with* makes all the difference in the world.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know what company is making this offer, but visiting a Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn store offers a glimpse at what you may be referring to. Some of their reproductions are very convincing and quite attractive as decor. BUT...they are NOT signed. (In fact I've peeked behind them to see if I can find out who the photographers are, but with no success....they're not identified.) OTOH, Target has similarly framed reproductions that at least include the photographers identity...but still NO SIGNATURE!

It sounds as if the retailer in question is attempting to perpetrate a near fraud by offering the purchaser the supposed cachet of having guests see what they can assume is signed original art. Even some 'art galleries' (particularly in Florida where I've seen them the most often) offer giclees of 'paintings' that look very authentic since they are sprayed on canvas, and are signed, but are nonetheless posters.

I understand the potential for financial bounty this practice may offer the artist, but I balk at the compromise in quality and the confusion between the original and the reproduction. Tough call. At least....get a better deal!! Or, offer them a deal they can't accept...you'll then not have to go through with it, and you won't come off as a hardass ivory tower artist, but rather a hardass businessman for which the corporate world has immense regard!!
    Last edited by jovo; 02-07-2007 at 04:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post

The more I think about this, the more it turns me off. It's really nothing more than the "Wal Mart-ization" of art if you ask me.

Bill
    You raise a good point, I didn't know the margin between the prints would be small.

Well follow your heart...its gotten you this far, right?

Good luck to you, and down with the walmartization of art!

Josh
    Last edited by joshverd; 02-07-2007 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm hesitant to sign anything. Who's signing the Imogens?

Otherwise it seems to me this project is about exploiting unsophisticated would-be art collectors. Anyone think these posters have a shot at retaining value? Do signed Ansel posters even go for that much?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I don't know what company is making this offer, but visiting a Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn store offers a glimpse at what you may be referring to.
    You're real close... wink wink, nod nod...

To answer Jstraw... to be honest, perhaps I am a little too comfortable with them and that is the problem. Perhaps this isn't the place, but it is not the "Giclee" aspect that is bothering me so much. I have done inkjet "carbon pigment" prints that are quite beautiful. I just could never wrap my mind around them being machine done. The concept of a "limited edition" of them is even more fuzzy than the idea of LE photos. This is why all those prints we made were "open editions". They were big, beautiful and perfect for a corporate or other institutional installation. Sold a lot of them... and for much higher than these guys are planning to do. I printed them and signed them, but the fact they could be printed out by anyone and in large numbers, among other things, is what cooled me on them and the process. This is a perfect example of what I feared.

Perhaps it is just a price thing, but I am certain they would never consider offering me what it would take. After all... it would just feel unseemly to put it mildly. It's not that I am feeling high and mighty as an artist, it is more that everything has been digitized and walmartized to death. No matter how inevitable, I've decided not to lend my name to that game.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, I am in complete agreement with what you are saying but wonder if there is another approach to this. What IF you had a work, that let's say does not seem to do well in a gallery - would you consider it? If they are asking for one of your more popular works, then your comment about "Wal Mart-ization" is dead on IMO. However if it a work that either has not done as well or one you have not placed in a gallery then maybe it's not a bad way to get your name out there. There is just something about the approach of having you sign the work, then paying you $20 while they sell it for $3-400 that seems to be a slap in the face....or how little they actually value you as a professional.

Which ever way you decide to go, I think you will end up with doing what is best for you. Thank You for sharing this with the rest of us...it could be a new trend or just some marketing type trying to make a buck and get their name out there....not a good way to treat someone.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin