Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 759

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    The distinction between *the right price for something you're perfectly comfortable with* and *the price required to get you to do something you're not comfortable with* makes all the difference in the world
    Wise words. If you're leaning towards the latter, Bill, walk away.

Don't you sell photographs (monthly, bi-monthly specials?) on your website for around $400.00(?) that are 1/2 the going gallery rate? If that's the case then 1/2 that price, or $200.00, would seem about right for this project. No offence, but $400.00 for a reproduction is crazy.

I would refuse to sign them the same way as my original photographs, have it clearly stated on the back how they were produced, and would have my website printed on the back as well.

They want you...make them work for it and squeeze as much out of them as you can...

I can't wait to post a dilemma like this

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    Wise words. If you're leaning towards the latter, Bill, walk away.
    Thanks Murray, I agree.
    Don't you sell photographs (monthly, bi-monthly specials?) on your website for around $400.00(?)
    Actually, and not to be a shameless self-promoter ... it is $100.00 and is for a small, signed 4.5 x 4.5 inch palladium print of my choosing. The offer goes out to my newsletter list. I do it because I've found it is a lot of fun, I love the connection with people and it serves as an intoduction to my work without having to spend an arm or leg if you don't want to resort to a poster. It also has led in many a case to collectors going to one of my galleries for something more.
    I can't wait to post a dilemma like this
    Be careful what you wish for!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post
    What IF you had a work, that let's say does not seem to do well in a gallery - would you consider it? If they are asking for one of your more popular works, then your comment about "Wal Mart-ization" is dead on IMO.
    Thanks Mike. Unfortunately they are asking for some pretty heavy hitters, not less poplular work. I agree that it can be good exposure though. The posters I have licensed have served well at this and have been of less popular prints in most cases.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Thanks Mike. Unfortunately they are asking for some pretty heavy hitters, not less poplular work. I agree that it can be good exposure though. The posters I have licensed have served well at this and have been of less popular prints in most cases.

Bill
    I expected for this to be the case...they did their marketing research well - at least they have good taste. What you describe reminds me of a chain resturant (Italian) that has some very nice work hanging all over the place - but there has always been something about the work that made me wonder (never quite as sharp as I thought it should be) and the color was always off to me. The whole thing just sounds wrong for the artist...and not that great a deal for buyer either.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The 'deal' is rather laughable.

Should you choose to go into this market, 16 poster-prints @ $200 would buy you an Epson 7800, paper and all profiling stuff, leaving you the sorry prospect of having to spend the remaining $46800 cash..... ($200 per print used to allow 50% for gallery/retailer as indicated, or a bigger differential between your proper prints.)

So perhaps it becomes evident why they are struggling to accept 'No' as an answer!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If a photographer does Giclee (Inkjet) prints of his work in-house, as one of the various media that he produces, then the Giclee (Inkjet) media is just as valid an output for his/her art as any other type of print, because it is reflecting the photographers vision. I see nothing wrong with Giclee (Inkjet) as one form of image creation, when controlled by the photographer. After all, there are other forms of pigment prints that have been used for photography for many decades. (Bromoil, etc.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cringe at the idea of releasing an image and only getting $20 for each reproduction. I would definitely want to know exactly what is not exactly a poster and not exaclty a photograph.

If you believe that selling images in this way will greatly increase your exposure to a greater audience and increase sales of your fine print work then persue it. But not with a signature for only a $20 cut.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Images
    They are doing their best to screw you. Plain and simple.

JMVUO (just my very uneducated opinion) the devil is asking to buy your soul. Even a total know nothing about the business like myself can see that you would be on the losing end of this deal.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    They are doing their best to screw you. Plain and simple.
    Thanks again everyone... I couldn't agree more. I won't be going down that road.

Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin