Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,903   Online: 1035

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    [...] I'll say it again: Good photography, whether traditional or digital, is essentially conceptual, i.e. it is the idea that counts. [...]
    Typical bi-media thinking; you double your chances of employment if you go both ways.

Good photography (conceptualization and execution) is, indeed, the fundamental skill however sometimes pixelography cannot hack it regardless. Yesterday I got a great lift when a digital-oriented client almost shouted with joy when I presented some mere medium-format work to him. It got me the job to reshoot some of it in 4x5, which pays very, very well. (Gosh help me if he eventually wants 8x10. I cannot handle the expense right now.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jjstafford wrote:
    "Typical bi-media thinking; you double your chances of employment if you go both ways."

...and, oddly enough, learning about other ways doesn't diminish the knowledge or skills or craft that you already have, or close doors to you - it can only open new ones. That doesn't mean that it will open new ones, or that you need any new ones to be opened.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    ... however sometimes pixelography cannot hack it regardless.
    With you there all the way. To get a 66 MB file with one-pass digital capture would (apparently) cost me £12,000 for a camera back, whereas shooting 4x5 and 5x7" film costs me (almost) £11,999 less and with a £750 scanner I can get the 200 MB files I need for those big expensive prints (and I can go and print the negatives in the darkroom in my very rare free moments!). This without any regard for the questions of long-term readability of digital media, etc. My reasons for shooting film are thus (I think) pragmatic and objective - try as I will, I can't get the least bit emotional about analog photography!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I find the digital camp usually argues that "the final image" is all that matters. They say the process is only a means to an end. But in reality they are just as concerned with the proccess as we are (they just don't like to admit it).

I'm finding it increasingly hard to mention the word traditional photography on the net anymore. If you do, be prepared to get flamed...
    Sean, digi-snapshooters might say that the final image counts, but self respecting digital shooters will never say anything like that. The process counts irrespective of the "medium". It is just that film and digital have different processes.

Each demands attention, if the photographer respects himself and his/her art.

As for the difficulty in mentioning digital, I have to say that I'm hapy to be part of the modeating team of a Greek photography site. The site mainly deals with digital, but there is an analog part it ot, which is on the increase and more and more converts are joining.

So, all is not lost
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin