Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,322   Online: 955

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I recall an essay by George Orwell, written in the 1930s I think. Pretty sure the topic was bad writing. He really got stuck into arts writers who were using the word 'plastic' in all their articles. According to Orwell it was just trendy misuse of an obscure word.
    Now that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Very interesting and if you weren't there at that time like Orwell, how would you ever know that. Sounds just like today. Thanks. If anyone remembers where that's at, I'd be interested.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Now that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Very interesting and if you weren't there at that time like Orwell, how would you ever know that. Sounds just like today. Thanks. If anyone remembers where that's at, I'd be interested.
    http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/...nglish/e_polit

There is the essay he wrote on the decline of the English Language, which includes his attack on the word "plastic" and his attack on pretentious over-use of latinate words when good old-fashioned anglo-saxon words would do. The essay was published in 1946 though.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Scott. I'm sure Mr. Orwell is "rolling over in his grave" at most anything I write Let's see, that is probably an over and mis-used metaphor so I will "quit while I'm ahead". Oh crap.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    William Mortensen used "Plastic" lighting for some of his images. He discusses this tpe of lighting in his book "Pictorial Lighting".

Obviously it had nothing to do with polymers.
    I was thinking the same thing. Mortensen goes on and on about plastic lighting.

And I have a paper by Heinrich Kuhn, the inventor of the Imagon and who died in 1944, I think, where he talks about "The plasticity of the pictures (the Imagon creates)....."
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Thanks Scott. I'm sure Mr. Orwell is "rolling over in his grave" at most anything I write Let's see, that is probably an over and mis-used metaphor so I will "quit while I'm ahead". Oh crap.
    Nah- you're just torturing clichés

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Mortensen goes on and on about plastic lighting.

And I have a paper by Heinrich Kuhn, the inventor of the Imagon and who died in 1944, I think, where he talks about "The plasticity of the pictures (the Imagon creates)....."
    Given the goal of a lens like the Imagon was to create "dreamy", idealized portraits, I suspect plasticity in his context implied smoothness and softness of texture, not sculptural and defined.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 1911 edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica is online here.

www.1911encyclopedia.com

A search on 'plastic'+'art' will give a good overall view of how the term was used in contemporary art history and criticism.

In short: the plural, 'plastic arts', seems to mean a straightforward catagorisation including sculpture and painting; the adjective 'plastic' is often used in the sense of 'interpretive' or 'non-literal'. It's this second meaning that Steiglitz would have been thinking of when talking about the plastic qualities of pictorial photography.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin