Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,996   Online: 804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What to have in mind when photographing somewhere

Hi,

Since no particular forum part for law and like regarding photography I am posting this here.

I was thinking about this when read about petition in UK because of proposed restriction of photography in UK.

So to the point:

Can we make some permanent thread in which will be written, by people who knows, what photographer can expect when try to shoot in particular town or country?

For example, I have heard/read that there are problems if you try to photograph using tripod in Paris.

So, things like that, what is legal and what is "common" in particular place.

In my country (Bosnia and Hercegovina) for example, thare is no law which regulate this issue. There is only one article in criminal law which say that if you make image (photo or video) without autorisation (court order or like) of person in its (private) premices you will be legally responsabile. No law about can you make picture of for example policemen, or some building (only building with "no photography" sign in front is USA embassy), etc... But, I would not recommend to make photograph of policeman for example... You know we still have communist mentality in which institution is more important of individual right, and we loosing that mentality really slowly... So, even if you don't break law, you could find yourself in some unpleasent situation, and have problems untill you solve that issue... Saying that, I didn't have problems so far.

Regards
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    (only building with "no photography" sign in front is USA embassy)

ouch!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    (only building with "no photography" sign in front is USA embassy)

ouch!
    Sorry, if anyone read this sentence wrongly, this is NOT anti USA statement, it is plain and simple pure fact. Please, do not read this sentence with "evil" meaning!!!

Saying that, there are signs "no photography" INSIDE some building (let say inside some shopping mals), but not banning photography of building itself from public place.

Just clarification.

Thank you.
    Last edited by haris; 02-23-2007 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tell that to a cell phone camera using person who can take a picture of the embassy without anyone knowing it!

Posting a sign "No Photography" is a terrible waste of signage 'cause the "bad guys" will ignore it if they really need a picture of the embassy.

Mostly the sign is their to give a false sense of security to those inside.

Banning photography in public place is plainly stupid, and is only a political tool for those politician's who are too dumb to come up with real security solutions for the world's problems.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please, no pollitical discussion, I planed this as help for photographers who wants to travel somewhere to have atleast basic facts needed to be known.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is no law in the UK (currently) which bans photography from a public place other than a ban on photographing prisons. I think this is the only exception.

Note the words 'from a public place' i.e. if it can be seen from a public place, it can be photographed.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    There is no law in the UK (currently) which bans photography from a public place other than a ban on photographing prisons. I think this is the only exception.

Note the words 'from a public place' i.e. if it can be seen from a public place, it can be photographed.

Steve.
    Not quite. There are also 'Prohibited Places' within the meaning of the Official Secrets Act: some Ministry of Defence establishments.

The ban on photographing prisons is a new one on me. Can you quote the legislation, by any chance?

And has been said elsewhere, bans are meaningless anyway. Even the Victorians had 'detective' (concealed) cameras. All that any ban affects is well composed pics taken with a decent camera.

But to answer Haris's question, there are all kinds of security goons and meddlers who take it upon themselves to enforce laws that don't exist. This happens everywhere. Your best bet in the UK, usually, is to demand that they call the police. If they ARE the police, demand to be taken to see a senior officer.

The last time I was shooting 4x5 on a tripod in Paris, the gendarme waited until I had finished before strolling over and telling me I needed a permit. I went to try to get one and they had never heard of (or more likely, didn't care about) tripod permits.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Waht was my intention:

To have thread in which photographer who wants to go into country, or even town XY can read:

In XY country (town) is by law forbbiden to make photographs of this and that. Or this is not forbbiden by law, but it is not advisable to photograph this and that. Or, if you want to use tripod you can have problems or you have to have permission.

So, not to go into discussion, but what is OK by law or what one can expect (what usually can happen) even if law don't say anything about it.

For example: In XY town when I shooted handheld I didn't have problems, but when put tripod I was forbbiden to use it. And this is happens ofret/allways/rarelly in XY town, so be carefull for it...

Things like that, that is small "photographer travelling advice booklet" if you like that expression.

Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great Idea!!! A concise travel guide

But is this group able to stay on topic and not reduce the thread to senseless chatter?

Lets step it up to this challenge!!!

If I wanted senseless chatter, I would have stayed married.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Fine idea Harris,

My local village of Aberaeron is a Georgan sea port in Cardigan bay some 17 miles south of Aberystwyth in Wales. It is an extreamly prety village and is much photographed,so that other than setting up a tripod on a busy pavement you should have no trouble.
    It does get very busy during the summer with tourists and this year it celebrates its bi centenary[200 years old] so will be busier than usual but with normal curtosy am sure no one will have trouble photographing the area.

There is much to see and do and all visitors are welcome. If you want to explore the area a minimum of 2 weeks should be allowed but a day trip is also very worthwhile.

Hope this is what you were thinking of.
    Regards Paul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin