Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,523,009   Online: 1220

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    it gets me chicks

well, there is that...and the fabulous dough
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it gets me chicks
    Umm ... Ari, even by your own admission ... umm ... shouldn't you be showing a LOT more then?

Runs and hides, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Photography is a form of visual communication. With most forms of communication you need at least two parties.

We make the effort to go out and make images. Wanting to find our vision within the world but that is only half the process. If no one ever sees your work, your vision, then the process is not complete. You didn't communicate to anyone.

Or in other words, you are talking only to yourself.

Be careful where you do that. In some places, people think you crazy for talking to yourself and want to lock you up.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Umm ... Ari, even by your own admission ... umm ... shouldn't you be showing a LOT more then?

Runs and hides, Art.
    Naaah, APUG is not a good place to get dates.
    I have even posed half naked for all to see and gotten not even one stinky love message.
    Hmmm... maybe its because of that...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    14. It can bring you fame, prestige, make you a sex idol, an avatar of perfection to be worshipped.
    That's why I'm a guitar player!!!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Losse View Post
    Photography is a form of visual communication. With most forms of communication you need at least two parties.

We make the effort to go out and make images. Wanting to find our vision within the world but that is only half the process. If no one ever sees your work, your vision, then the process is not complete. You didn't communicate to anyone.

Or in other words, you are talking only to yourself.

Be careful where you do that. In some places, people think you crazy for talking to yourself and want to lock you up.
    Now this is something interesting. What if, to some, photography is a therapy, like a journal or a diary? Is that crazy too?

Does it have to be about communication? Why?

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 02-28-2007 at 09:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Losse View Post
    I used to show photographs in the past because I didn't feel confident in what I was doing and needed to learn - both informally and in a formal educational environmnent.

Now it's more about communication - for me a photograph is all about communication and it's not easy to know if we succeed in effectively saying what we wish to say, without feedback from others. Sometimes it's enough to know that it works for some people (you wouldn't ever expect it to work for all), other times I am grateful if someone points out to me something I haven't seen that I need to change or think about.

More and more I trust my own instincts about whether my work is 'successful' (in my terms) or not. Then showing becomes more a sharing. For me there's little point of working in a vacuum. The process of creating the work can be a lonely enough one anyway, and most of us need encouragement and support, or at least an acknowledgement that what we are doing has some worth and meaning for others, as well as ourselves.

As for exhibitions/shows - I've done the café thing; and that was to give me a goal to work for (I have to set myself goals or I do little) and show off to my friends. I'd think twice about doing it again as it was a huge effort and I only sold two pieces of work. It was a very valuable experience though, in terms of managing the project, meeting deadlines, not cracking up completely etc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As for exhibitions/shows - I've done the café thing; and that was to give me a goal to work for (I have to set myself goals or I do little) and show off to my friends. I'd think twice about doing it again as it was a huge effort and I only sold one piece of work.
    Cate-
    that unfortunately is par for the course when showing your work, especially in the early days of your exhibition career. It is something you have to get through, though. Cafes are a good place to show early on because they give you exposure, and they're often not very picky about whose work they show. The downside is that with few exceptions, most people going to the cafe are not there to buy art, they're there to drink coffee. The art is an incidental bonus for going in. It does take a more serious venue to start making sales. Look out for local art fairs which are non-juried, where you only have to show a few pieces. Also try submitting work to juried competitions, but pick and choose a few that are most appropriate to the kind of work you do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    I used to show photographs in the past because I didn't feel confident in what I was doing and needed to learn - both informally and in a formal educational environmnent.

Now it's more about communication...

That's me, too. At the most basic level, I shoot to communicate later with others where I've done, what I've seen, where I've been. Usually it's things they will never see, so we both get something out of it. I share and get approval and praise, they learn and are entertained.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    I have to set myself goals or I do little
    This is why I like the print exchanges too. It is because of these exchanges that I have gone back to my photographs I took years ago. Most of the prints I sent out were images taken when I first started photography. All of those have never been seen before by anyone else but the recipients.

Regards, Art.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin