Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,302   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wm blunt View Post
    As I ordered this print to not only ad to my collection but help this photographer because he was in need of funds. Thought I was doing the right thing but looks like it came back to bite me in the rear. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
    Is he your friend? If he is, you can wait, right? If not, get your money back and just move on.

I'm assuming it's probably not just you but some other people who are in the same situation as well. I mean if he's selling his prints to get funds, he's probably selling to more than one person and more than one print, and if he keeps making that lame excuse to his customers/supporters, he's not going to survive much longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    OK, I see your point. But surely, one could produce a print within a week or two? Personally, I would have a supply of prints on hand, prior to offering them for sale.

I'm sorry to have to continue to be so contradictory. If I were in the business of selling prints, and since you can't know when I'm near my darkroom or not near my darkroom and since like most people my schedule can be upended unpredictably and my suppliers can be fickle, I'd have a standing policy of "please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery." Then, I'd ship within one or two weeks as often as possible. The idea that if someone were to offer a multitude of different images for sale and that they'd invest the time and materials to manage an inventory of all of them is unrealistic.

None of this relates to the particulars of the situation at hand in this thread...
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    As someone that sells prints for a living, I know it's quite important to ship as soon as possible, however there are reasons that would cause a delay in shipping.

First, most photographers selling work should have the actual print on hand, but it may need to be mounted/matted/spotted/packaged ect...and that can take a couple weeks to finish. If someone has to print the image, that may even add an extra week or two onto the time.

Second, when I am on the road selling prints, I have my "show prints" for viewing, but buyers understand that their actual print will not be shipped until the time I return home. This may be several weeks, even months later.

As I'm sure many of you know, it takes almost a YEAR to get one of John Sexton's prints. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure it's because he is so busy.
    Last edited by User Removed; 03-03-2007 at 06:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If a print is ordered from me, I feel I have a responsibility to ship it within a couple of weeks. Of course, everyone has different work and travel circumstances, but if it is going to take longer than that, I think it would be ethical (and good business practice) to state that fact at the time of accepting the order. At least then the purchaser knows what to expect. Communication is everything in customer relations.
    If you are too busy to fulfill your orders, you should be honest enough to state that fact before you accept an order.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At this point the guy is being a d--k and abusing your good nature and patience. If he didn't tell you up front that it would take some time to deliver your print, then he has benefitted from the use of your money without delivering the goods. This is usually known as theft.

You didn't say whether the sale is across state lines; I think in those cases the Federal Trade Commission has jurisdiction and regulatory authority. If I'm not mistaken a vendor in these situations is supposed to, after 90 days without order fulfilment, contact you and offer you a chance to cancel your order and receive a refund (this is why Amazon and other reputable online sellers do this, and most don't take money until the item ships.)

Time to take off the gloves. You should treat him like a deadbeat customer whose account is badly in arrears. Send him a certified letter demanding either a refund or a print by x time in the future, after which you'll file a report with the FTC if that applies, or your state's consumer protection agency, which is often run by the state attorney general's office.

I'm the easiest guy in the world to get along with ordinarily, and willing to cut anyone slack until I think I'm being made a fool of or being blown off. This guy needs a smack upside the head to get him to do right--assuming it IS a "him".
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I recommend canceling your order with this photographer and ordering one of my prints. I'll make sure you get it in a couple days.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with the majority here... and I would not just limit it to prints. It applies to anything you purchase... film, paper, a couch; whatever. If you purchase something, especially from a business... and I include photographers who sell prints as a 'business'... you deserve to receive your purchase within a reasonable time.

I think there may be extenuating circumstances, but that still does not absolve a business from ACTING like a business... ie, communicating delays in a timely manner to its customers.

You have every right to be majorly torked. Hell, I'm torked when I don't receive prints promised to me as part of exchanges or whatever! If I paid for a print, I'd be hotter than Mercury!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can we agree to call THIS GUY a deadbeat? Who is he BTW? Oh a don't wait any more; don't ask for your money back. Demand it.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl View Post
    I agree with the majority here... and I would not just limit it to prints. It applies to anything you purchase... film, paper, a couch; whatever. If you purchase something, especially from a business... and I include photographers who sell prints as a 'business'... you deserve to receive your purchase within a reasonable time.

I think there may be extenuating circumstances, but that still does not absolve a business from ACTING like a business... ie, communicating delays in a timely manner to its customers.

You have every right to be majorly torked. Hell, I'm torked when I don't receive prints promised to me as part of exchanges or whatever! If I paid for a print, I'd be hotter than Mercury!
    I do admit there were extenuating circumstances at first. The photographer was ill and knew it would be awhile before he could fill his print orders. When I found out he was well and sending out prints I contacted him to remind him of my order. That is when I started getting excuses. Even at first I gave him the benefit of the doubt and waited several more weeks. It seemed to me like a lot of "the dog ate my homework" excuses. The one excuse of being busy doing new work is the one that really upset me. The only good thing about this I guess is when I get an order for a print I think about this and get the print ready to ship. As a matter of fact I have a print packed and ready to ship right now for a person that has not sent payment and might have changed his mind. That might have a been a bit of overkill on my part:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    ...most photographers selling work should have the actual print on hand, but it may need to be mounted/matted/spotted/packaged ect...and that can take a couple weeks to finish...
    I also do this for a living and unless there is some extreme reason (large order, illness, etc.), it is rare for a shipment to take any more than a week to leave here after time of order. I've never understood anyone taking a year to ship an ordered print. I don't care how "busy" you may be, it is ridiculous. Sorry you've had such a hard time. I too would cancel the order.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin