Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,695   Online: 861
      
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,286
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    My goodness, how you rush to hyperbole!

    Simply put, I am a film photographer. I am already beleagured and beset by the rush to digital and the declining usage of film. So I really have no desire to don a hairshirt over the amount of metals the film market uses in relation to the total demand for various metals.

    If you are indeed burdened and feel guilt over all of then you should consider migrating to digis. Then you can consider the disposal problems to the environment of such gear upon its inevitable obselesence.

    As a matter of fact, I am very environmentally aware but old enough to have moved beyond absolutes. And keep in mind that even Al Gore had to use film to make "An Inconvenient Truth".

    And now I will end further posting to this thread. Ciao.

    Umm.... I said I wasnt telling you what to think but you seem to have taken it that way anyway. I was asking a serious question, and not pre-judging your reply. Chill.


    Wayne

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,286
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Rather than giving up photography which is basically symbolic, and largly meaningless to the mining industry, it may be far more satisfying to get involved in in the organizations in your area that are concerned and tasked with regulating and overseeing the mining industry. Add your voice to the desire that it be done right, if done at all. Just my 2 cents.

    Yes, I thought of that but I dont know of any way of doing it right. I'm already involved in trying to make sure its done with the least impact, and I would be whether I was a photographer or not. But there is no such thing as an environmentally neutral mine, AFAIK. Some are worse than others obviously but to the best of my knowledge most are still quite destructive.

    Wayne

  3. #13
    JBrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Yes, I thought of that but I dont know of any way of doing it right. I'm already involved in trying to make sure its done with the least impact, and I would be whether I was a photographer or not. But there is no such thing as an environmentally neutral mine, AFAIK. Some are worse than others obviously but to the best of my knowledge most are still quite destructive.

    Wayne
    Sounds like there might be an opportunity for good photography exhibit or book to be created, don't you think?

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,286
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Sounds like there might be an opportunity for good photography exhibit or book to be created, don't you think?
    Actually the fact that I will be doing some writing obliquely relating to after affects of mining is what got me thinking about it first. I know you are half-joking but a photographic expose of silver mining would really leave itself wide open for ridicule, like Al Gore speaking out on global warming.


    Wayne

  5. #15
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,003
    Images
    65
    Almost all metals and non-metals that we use in all forms of life are mined. Arsenic and Selenium and Sulfur are mined. They are used mainly in digital photography but sulfur is used in analog photography. Gold is used in photography. Rhodium, Iridium and Osmium are used in photography.

    What are you going to say about the use of metal in coins everywhere in the world. This all comes from mines. Oh, and don't forget coal, still in heavy use in some areas.

    Silver represents such a tiny fraction of all of these that this whole thread is virtually a joke if it points only to silver.

    If you want to fully eliminate the problem, remove all wiring and plumbing from your house, all nails, the appliances, the doorknobs, the locks and the snaps and zippers on your clothes just for starters.

    Add to this all jewelry including diamonds.

    Oh, BTW, most salt in the US is mined as well. No more table salt for you!

    Now, you are PC in this regard. And, miners will be safe.

    PE

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Now, you are PC in this regard. And, miners will be safe.
    Speaking of PCs... is it possible that the environmental damage created (as we type and speak) by the computer industry is far more significant than the environmental impacts of photography. Perhaps we should turn some environmental conciousness toward reducing computer usage. We might be doing double-damage by using a computer to talk about our photography. :o

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Actually the fact that I will be doing some writing obliquely relating to after affects of mining is what got me thinking about it first.
    To be fair, Wayne, you also have to include some consideration of the environmental conciousness that was introduced to the mining industry about 30 years ago and how those regulations/policies has changed the way they do their business. Although we have many, many bad examples of past mining practices still haunting us, we have many examples of better mining practices that are with us today that seek to minimize negative effects on the environment. These practices have drove many mining companies out of existance; they simply could not afford to stay in business once the environmental protection requirements were levied on them. Those that remain actively mining today are mining with broader goals (a blend of corporate profit AND environmental protection) and have made significant committments to environmental protection and restoration. These companies need to be given credit where credit is due!

  8. #18
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,117
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Speaking of PCs... is it possible that the environmental damage created (as we type and speak) by the computer industry is far more significant than the environmental impacts of photography. Perhaps we should turn some environmental conciousness toward reducing computer usage. We might be doing double-damage by using a computer to talk about our photography. :o
    I replace my Macs every 15 years. That is a lot less often than PC users HAVE to replace their machines. => We can save the world by dumping our PCs and buying Macs. That way we really contribute since we would be using both more environmentally safe computers and camera!

    Steve

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    I replace my Macs every 15 years. That is a lot less often than PC users HAVE to replace their machines. => We can save the world by dumping our PCs and buying Macs. That way we really contribute since we would be using both more environmentally safe computers and camera!

    Steve
    Well, the 386 I use for writing is 15 years old now and (touch wood) still going strong running Wordstar under CP/M.

    Cheers,

    R.

  10. #20
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Well, the 386 I use for writing is 15 years old now and (touch wood) still going strong running Wordstar under CP/M.

    Cheers,

    R.
    Congradulations on your fortitude!!! You are almost as stubborn as I am!

    Two years ago, I retired my 512 Mac [1984], which was upgraded with 4 Megs of memory and a 68030, as my system data server. Please do not try that at home with an XT or other 8086 based machine!
    :o :o

    Steve

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin