Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,509   Online: 877

View Poll Results: How accurately does this quote describe you?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very accurately

4 4.35%
  • Somewhat accurately

12 13.04%
  • Not very accurately

23 25.00%
  • Completely inaccurately

53 57.61%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    FYI

Seems he was a "philospher" who was "unencumbered by the thought process" and saw no need to document his research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vil%C3%...ser#Philosophy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

If they look through the camera out into the world, this is not because the world interests them, but because they are pursuing new possibilities of producing information and evaluating the photographic program. Their interest is concentrated on the camera; for them, the world is purely a pretext for the realization of camera possibilities.

--Vilem Flusser, Toward a Philosophy of Photography

I can't say whether or not this is true for me in photography -- I tend to think it is only marginally true and that the camera's ability to nearly, literally capture reality makes it less so --, but, for me, the statement would be almost entirely true for painting or sculpture. In these mediums the object that is being described is often an excuse for the purposes of creating with the medium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually think this describes a very large proportion of the amateurs out there, relates more to colour shooters (and esp d1g1tal) and readers of certain mas circulation magazines. Their interest often goes only so far as 'the shot' , owning it, claiming it to show others as theirs, rather than relating to a desire to have an involved relationship with the elements of the world/humankind etc' that they are interested in or connect with. This is a gross generalisation of course but I think does mark out a particular developmental phase where some start beyond this line and others behind it. Some behind it pass through it as their activity evolves into an art, or a personal/spiritual/philosophical voyage which may last months or decades. Some never do and it usually shows in their photography which maintains an adherence to rules and stock images with no obvious imperfections but little merit either. It becomes a competitive pursuit linked to self worth and to be compared with others.

This does not describe me (I hope), but if my images still resemble souless stock images typical of the gear fixated 'picture getter' then I ascribe this to a different deficiency! In fact I think it is not really an apug thing at all. more Practical Photography and Jessops Camera Club.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This does not sound like either a photographer or a real person. It sounds like a philosophy major with a serious case of brain disfunction ...

Probably walks around asking himself every day "Why there is air?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    ...but if my images still resemble souless stock images typical of the gear fixated 'picture getter' then I ascribe this to a different deficiency!...
    I read the original passage totally the opposite.

He is not talking about gear geeks but rather artists who express themselves via the medium of photography. Conversely, the people you describe (those behind the line, etc.) generally are concerned with the object and a descriptive rather than expressive use of the medium. They are "shooting" the "real" world "out there" rather than engaging the richer and symbolic inner landscape of their imagination.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I picked up photography as an effort to connect more with the outside world, especially human beings which I always had a problematic relationship with. Photography helps balance my extraversion-introversion which has been quite messed up after years of feeling lonely and depressed. It helps me look more closely at things and often more deeply. Photography for me is a good excuse to uncover the hidden secrets of the world, travel more profoundly and be more in touch with other humans.
    All other art I do, sculpture, drawing, painting, has been deeply introverted, drawing from the inside and rarely needing to use my eyes even when looking for outside inspiration.
    So, in other words, the world might be a pretext for photographic creation but more often, the photographic creation is a pretext to connect more with the world.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read it like Smieglitz. The author is discussing the exploration of the medium over the object. Oddly, for me photography, because it is so literal, may be more about the object -- I'm still mulling it over. I sure don't see it as some thoughtless statement made by a guy who has no idea of what it is to be a photographer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    I read it like Smieglitz. The author is discussing the exploration of the medium over the object.
    Sure, photographers can get caught up in the technical and aesthetic possibilities of "the photograph" as separate from thinking of representing the object of the photograph. But so what? Wouldn't this be true to some extent of artists working in any art form? I don't see that he's saying anything here that isn't basically obvious, or new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is largely my point. I'm not sure the author is trying to be grandiose. He may simply be trying to set a foundation or a point from which to discuss or understand what drives a photographer. Maybe someone who has studied this guy could step in and add some light.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If they look through the camera out into the world, this is not because the world interests them, but because they are pursuing new possibilities of producing information and evaluating the photographic program. Their interest is concentrated on the camera; for them, the world is purely a pretext for the realization of camera possibilities. --Vilem Flusser, Toward a Philosophy of Photography

World-class thinker - way ahead of us Earthlings. I googled for context and came up empty. His other writings suggest we are becoming dangerously more means-oriented, scarily less ends-oriented, pushing more buttons and doing less thinking, heading toward - according to his there-lies-a-desk analogy, Blade Runner or worse.

This is good stuff for us analogers. Save our world. Insert "digital-imager" wherever the word "camera" appears, then throw away your scanner and proudly check the box marked "Completely Inaccurately".

I have no scanner but do too-often fondle my small inventory of two cameras and two lenses ... so I now check: "Somewhat Inaccurately".

Bruce

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin