Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,647   Online: 968

View Poll Results: How accurately does this quote describe you?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very accurately

4 4.35%
  • Somewhat accurately

12 13.04%
  • Not very accurately

23 25.00%
  • Completely inaccurately

53 57.61%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    I read it like Smieglitz. The author is discussing the exploration of the medium over the object. Oddly, for me photography, because it is so literal, may be more about the object -- I'm still mulling it over. I sure don't see it as some thoughtless statement made by a guy who has no idea of what it is to be a photographer.
    Nobody seems to have picked on the Winogrand quote that we all love (yeah, nobody listens to me anyway...), but it agrees with what John and Joe are saying: the idea that medium has an instrumental role in art, that its resistance to our actions contribute to both the nature and the value of what we create.

Heck, that's probably the most fundamental principle of APUG: that the nature of medium in photography is integral to its nature and value. If we did not agree with this idea, we would not be here discussing film.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    M
    I listen...

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me too... It's great seeing what things look like in b+W.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPete View Post
    How accurately would you say this quote describes you as a photographer?

If they look through the camera out into the world, this is not because the world interests them, but because they are pursuing new possibilities of producing information and evaluating the photographic program. Their interest is concentrated on the camera; for them, the world is purely a pretext for the realization of camera possibilities.

--Vilem Flusser, Toward a Philosophy of Photography
    I have been reading the responses with interest as I watch the parsing going on.

Sorry, I take the author at face value to his statement. If the equipment if paramount as a means of producing information for its own sake - then it does not describe my personal philosphy of photography.

I'm not versed on Susan Sontag's contemporaneous (i.e. late 1960's early 1970's) essay in this realm. Perhaps someone here who is can comment on whether she is in agreement with Flusser?

I'd be curious to know since her essay is considered "seminal" for that era's thinking on photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i agree with what was said.
    the cameras, lenses &C are all tools
    that we work with to make things. sometimes
    it is not being a gear-freak, but learning how to
    use the camera, lens, film, chemistry to one's advantage.
    that is learning how to let the machinery speak and show what is in you head ...
    not just show what is in the outside world, but merge that with
    the "thing" inside you ...

i too listen michel

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread has been very useful. When I take up shooting nudes I now have a response for anyone who questions my motives.

Thanks guys,

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i agree with what was said.
    the cameras, lenses &C are all tools
    that we work with to make things. sometimes
    it is not being a gear-freak, but learning how to
    use the camera, lens, film, chemistry to one's advantage.
    that is learning how to let the machinery speak and show what is in you head ...
    not just show what is in the outside world, but merge that with
    the "thing" inside you ...

i too listen michel

john

John,
    nicely put and it is vibrantly reflected in your work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like that. No matter how the world looks, seeing it through a camera changes everything.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Christopher Breitenstein[/FONT]<br>

Http://www.wetlabphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Like John Sais: It is simply a tool but beyond that, it is a third eye.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys... Sometimes it feels as if.

Susan Sontag agrees more or less with Barthes and Bazin, to the effect that the photography is supposed to have a more essential relationship with its object than painting or drawing does. She also follows Baudelaire in the "flâneur" attitude that photography encourages: lurk around and pick what is availble rather than compose and structure. Finally, she relates photography essentially to memory, that it is an art irrevocably defined by the disappearance of what it represents. However, she grows more and more suspicious of photography as authentic and valuable over the years, if you read all the essays in On Photography.

But in the end, they are just that: essays. Nice words, insights, intensity, great writing, but no nitty-gritty painful questions.

If you want to have some real food for thought, look at the academic journals like the British Journal of Aesthetics or the Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism. It sounds like stuffy old farts talking about the sublime, but it's not. Way more useful than the po-mo/semio/deconstructo fartsies.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin