Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,814   Online: 795

View Poll Results: How accurately does this quote describe you?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very accurately

4 4.35%
  • Somewhat accurately

12 13.04%
  • Not very accurately

23 25.00%
  • Completely inaccurately

53 57.61%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Does this describe you?

How accurately would you say this quote describes you as a photographer?

If they look through the camera out into the world, this is not because the world interests them, but because they are pursuing new possibilities of producing information and evaluating the photographic program. Their interest is concentrated on the camera; for them, the world is purely a pretext for the realization of camera possibilities.

--Vilem Flusser, Toward a Philosophy of Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Whoever this idiot is - he is diametrically opposed to everything I think is the "reason for photography"!

Perhaps this "Villem Flusser" is actually "Whositwhatsis Perez" the clown who's ruining Kodak?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of us look through a dark little box because we love everything outside that box too. The camera is a substitute for taking the entire world home with us. It's an act of creation -- because we are so interested in the world that we wished we could have made it ourselves.
    Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    YIKES!!!!

Riiiiiight...I have absolutely no interest in the things I choose to photograph. I just carry my LF gear through the forest all day as a form of excersize and periodically set it up in order to put some information on film, so I can evaluate it later. The camera is EVERYTHING, and the Universe in all its complexity pales in comparison!

What a schmuck :rolleyes:

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Does not describe me in the least. If I'm pointing my camera at it, it interests me.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Perhaps this "Villem Flusser" is actually "Whositwhatsis Perez" the clown who's ruining Kodak?
    You just hijacked the thread

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This guy sounds like he buys into all the marketing hype of each and every 'Latest and Greatest!'. What's the context of this quote by the way? Is he talking about people in general today who use cameras, or photographers as a whole over time?

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do tend to "filter" the outside world through a photographic "lens" - but the quotation is far too absolute. My enjoyment of and interest in photography has a big influence on what I observe, and what interests me, and there are probably a few instances where my first reaction to a situation is too much concerned with its photographic potential, but I expect that is the same for all people who enjoy creating things.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPete View Post
    How accurately would you say this quote describes you as a photographer?

If they look through the camera out into the world, this is not because the world interests them, but because they are pursuing new possibilities of producing information and evaluating the photographic program. Their interest is concentrated on the camera; for them, the world is purely a pretext for the realization of camera possibilities.

--Vilem Flusser, Toward a Philosophy of Photography
    It depends on how you interpret the statement, either as a gearhead or as Gary Winogrand: "I photograph to see what the world looks like in photographs."

There is a world of differences.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This guy is obviously not a photographer and does not know any photographers yet decides to define a photographer. Bull hockey!!!
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think this does describe the photographer, otherwise he/she would not photograph, and instead, draw or paint, or maybe just experience the world directly.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin