Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,588   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Be brave little grasshopper ...

I'm kind of afraid to post this as I have a feeling I know how bad this may turn out ... but cross my fingers ... here goes ...

If I said something like "The only real value one's art has is to one self and no one else." How would you guys and gals respond?

Regards, Art. (Dives behind a nearest foxhole bunker for cover.)
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I think if you really expect otherwise you're in for copious heartache. But I suppose there is a romantic futility to it.. :-) While I value Wynn Bullock, I'd save my own negatives in a fire.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art... I like to share my photographs with others, but if they don't like them... well, so be it. At the end of the day, they are ultimately made for me and my family and as you said, no one else. With that said, I appreciate feedback from other's (and from myself) as it's a great way to improve, but I don't make photographs just for the feedback.

go forth grasshopper....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think that it is true.

If the sentence were changed to: "Your art may only have value to you." then I would be fine with it. In fact I operate under the premise that my art may only have value to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    If I said something like "The only real value one's art has is to one self and no one else." How would you guys and gals respond?
    Well....don't say something like that then... I'm not sure what 'art' you may be including or excluding, but the passion people bring to their love of their favorite music is formidable! It may even surpass the value the artist invested in it. I know that the two dimensional art we have in our house is exceedingly valuable to us....we look at it and spend time with it every day. No...I couldn't agree less with your premise if I understand it correctly.

OTOH, if you are referring to the deep sense of satisfaction that making the art in question brings, then I suppose that's exclusive to the artist and couldn't be shared in any case.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I said something like "The only real value one's art has is to one self and no one else." How would you guys and gals respond?.....)
    I cannot agree with this concept. I think that there are many artists in all areas of esthetic pursuit who live to share their talent with others.

Why would anyone exhibit their photos at a gallery or even a Saturday street market if they didn't think others would value their art? Why would a great Diva or tenor sing on stage if they thought they were the only audience needed and can accomplish their art by singing in the shower?

While I don't pursue public acceptance of my art (and hesitate to elevate it to that level) I think many (maybe most "artists") very much expect others to value their art at least as much as they do themselves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Art... I like to share my photographs with others, but if they don't like them... well, so be it. At the end of the day, they are ultimately made for me and my family and as you said, no one else. With that said, I appreciate feedback from other's (and from myself) as it's a great way to improve, but I don't make photographs just for the feedback.

go forth grasshopper....
    but what if one is a "professional" artist and has to make a living out of it? A hungry stomach can make some pretty convincing arguments of ensuring ones art has "value" for the paying others too (preferably in cold hard cash). This value for the other party might be of a financial nature (investment) or a "pleasure" value (personal enjoyment). If you take a quick look across the historical landscape of "art", you'll quickly find that most of the "great" artists put just as much economical value and value for their patrons into their works as personal artistic value for themself; I would even go as far as saying most of these artists quite happily accepted degrading themselves as "whores" to the commerce (again, ideals are fine and dandy, but they don't pay the bills). And if one tried to defy the system - see vanGogh(sp?) and his rather miserable life. The system isn't fair for sure, and if one depends on it for livelyhood, best to find a middle ground without wandering of into the extremes. Just doing it for the pleasure of others will soon degrade one's art into sterile lifeless equivalents to those dreadful velvet Elvis paintings. Now OTOH, if one does NOT depend on the public aceptance of his or her art for income, then by all means, aim for the pure ideal and free youself from the restrains. It's just that not everyone has that luxuary. Even people on various artists grants still had to first convince someone of the value to the public of their work to secure those grants.
    As Jovo had mentioned, there are different forms of "value" to consider, and if one equals "value" with the satisfaction of the creation, then the original question would be reduntant (well, maybe you have some groupies around who get excited seeing the artist at work, they might get some value out of it too).
    I'll give this thread about four and a half pages until it's heading for the soap box. That's a great many grasshopper still to squash
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ...If I said something like "The only real value one's art has is to one self and no one else."...
    I would say that I photograph what moves me, and every time someone else gets something out of what I have done, it makes me happy, but I wouldn't stop even if everyone (please, pretend they don't already) said "Well, that's ... interesting"

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If by "real" you mean "economic" then I would say that the only real/economic value that one's art has is whatever someone else is willing to pay you for it.
    If you don't mean "economic," then you need to better define your terms before the question can be answered.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think people create art to be valued by others. I think that most create art to be creators and whatever happens next happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin