Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,830   Online: 966

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I've gained 10 lbs in eating popcorn recently. Where the supersize Coca Cola?

Regards, Art. (I have lots of negative comments about the cost of popcorn, does that count as a putdown against popcorn workers?)
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, did you happen to notice the title to the thread that we're discussing. The thread was about the pricetag.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not read the post in question, but this post does bring to mind discussions about Thomas Kinkaid "Painter of Light" that I see spring up on various forums and blogs. I am always amazed at the venom directed towards Kinkaid and his customers. I think all the animosity towards Kinkaid by other artists has nothing to do with his art (I have seen much worse art defined as brilliant by the curator/academic crowd) and everything to do with the fact that he is the most financially successful artist in history (worth in the 100s of millions of $) and acheived his success by not playing the game by the rules defined by the gallery/academic/curator crowd.

Am I ever going to plunk down cash for a Kinkaid? No. But bashing him and insulting his customers is the definition of artists sour grapes.

I remember in the early 80s when I was first really getting into photography and reading articles, essays and reviews in various non-photography art magazines. There was a definite move to dismiss Ansel Adams work as not important other then as pretty post card type images. I look back now and realize that the critisism began about the time his work began to fetch record prices at auction. I think there was more then a little sour grapes and jealousy involved at the time.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Bill, did you happen to notice the title to the thread that we're discussing. The thread was about the pricetag.
    Actually the thread was more about how ludicrous it is to pay 1M$ for a seemingly banal back-lit photography, which will fade over time because of the light. It ended up as a blanket, uncritical dismissal of Jeff Wall and whatever he does. To me that's the real problem, not the money discussion.
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 03-26-2007 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    "Sour Grapes as Standard Equipment?"

???

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the record, I'm not among those critical of Wall's work. I simply found the high price noteworthy. It's worth discussing what makes or does not make a work worth a million dollars.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    "Sour Grapes as Standard Equipment?"

???

Bill
    No, the thread about the million dollar photo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect fear of the unknown is the biggest reason why there is such back lash against art; Jealousy would might be a close second; and boredom or too much time on their hands might be a distant third.

For whatever reasons, there is a very vocal group on apug (the majority?) who decry art that is not rooted in tradition, or craft.

This is why a thread of this nature doesn't stand a snow flake's chance in hell of coming out on DM's side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "After having spent time here on Apug and observing behavior on other sites, I have come to a realization. It seems that a "sour grapes attitude" must come as standard equipment with the first camera that someone buys. This errant and caustic behavior seems to become ever more firmly entrenched the longer one snaps a shutter. It eventually reaches the deafening din of a group of "bleeding deacons" who unbeknownst to them are "only preaching to the choir."

72 responses from a community of 20,000 and you determine this.
    Please...
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald,

Reality check here.
    • You are on a website with mostly amateurs, hobbysts and week end warriors - like me for example.
    • You are on a website. On the internet.
    • Opinions are like rectums. Everyone has them. Some people like to fart in public.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin