Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,572   Online: 1158

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Sour Grapes as Standard Equipment?

After having spent time here on Apug and observing behavior on other sites, I have come to a realization. It seems that a "sour grapes attitude" must come as standard equipment with the first camera that someone buys. This errant and caustic behavior seems to become ever more firmly entrenched the longer one snaps a shutter. It eventually reaches the deafening din of a group of "bleeding deacons" who unbeknownst to them are "only preaching to the choir."

The most recent example of this that I have observed is the discussion about the one million dollar sale of a photograph in Australia. Rather than applauding the good fortune of a fellow photographer who has actually extended the legitimacy of photography as a viable expression of art by virtue of this sale, a sizeable contingent spent time in dessimating the image and diminishing, at least to their way of thinking, it's value.

Let's face it folks, knocking someone else does not make us any better than we really are. Chances are if our work is not selling for anything approaching this sale then we probably don't know enough to critique.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, those of you whom I have offended can go back to your snide commentary... or you can do something that is really different and positive and applaud those who do more than parrot what has gone on before...
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 03-26-2007 at 02:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Donald
    are 'they' actually knocking or expressing an opinion?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    g'day Donald
    are 'they' actually knocking or expressing an opinion?
    I would suggest that you read the commentary and determine for yourself what has been expressed. As you read the comments, if you would choose to do so, ask yourself how many comments are positive and uplifting.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i have read the comments Donald, i agree with many of them

are you suggesting comments should only be "positive and uplifting"?

can i, or anyone else, not express dislike and contempt?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Don,

I hadn't looked at this thread for a long while, so your post prompted me to read it again.

Yes, there are negative comments; positive comments; and thoughts on how any why the picture sold for $1M, and possible alternative ways to spend the money. Some of the negative comments did look like sour grapes; some looked like the standard right-wing "They didn't oughta be allowed to spend our money"; and some looked like intelligent comment.

To ascribe the whole thread to sour grapes, and then to dump that negative interpretation on everyone here, seems to me to say more about your mind-set than it does about the vast majority of APUG members in general or indeed about that thread in particular. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that you are the one saying 'my way or the highway'.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Roger,

You are right, completely.

Cheers,
    John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald.
    I disagree with you. I didn't read the whole thread but in the pages I read there were both positive and negative comments. I didn't see any bashing the seller/photographer or saying that the work was a piece of s...
    I think anyone can express their oppinion about anything and saying that 1mill is overpriced isn't saying that its a bad pic. Ofcource its a good thing for the photographer to get that priced for a piece of s/work and it's a good thing for the aknowledgement of photography as artmedia but still its one h... lot of money. Whats the problem in thinking that?
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also agree with Roger on this. We all need to express our opinions, negative or positive, to keep the art world alive and vibrant.
    I'ts hard to judge whether this photograph is good, bad or indifferent from the small version posted here.
    I also can't comment on it's monetary worth, I'll leave that to the experts.
    What does please me to no end is the fact that someone has paid $1mill for a PHOTOGRAPH.
    Is this not proof that photography has made the big league in the art world, especially here in OZ.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Let's face it folks, knocking someone else does not make us any better than we really are.
    ..... but is this not what you yourself are doing by knocking all those who have taken the time to express their opinions???

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald,

I would imagine that you in part refer to my post and those like it, but cannot be sure of course and take no offense either way. If you do regard my post as one typical of 'sour grapes' let me assure you of no such sentiments. I am rather pleased that the photographer has pulled off such a sale and agree that this is good for photography even if I dont feel that it is indicative of 'good' photography (again my personal opinion). I no not feel that the price tag is commensurate with the merit and have strong feelings about the critcs type of art philosophy as mentioned. Regardless of one's politics, I also suspect that the issue of $1m public funds being spent on it is one of public interest and therefore open for debate.

I have read the posts and yes people have strong views, which is why the thread is an interesting one. Bland touchy feely comments where everyone is terrified of hurting someones feelings are no use to anyone. How many people have complained both of overly critical and insufficiently direct critiques in the critique gallery?

When personal opninons are moderated because of worries about others' interpretation they cease to be personal opinions, but bland reflecions of an inoffensive path. One of the great things about forums is that you don't meet in person and can genuinley say what you think, whether sour grapes or not!
    Last edited by Tom Stanworth; 03-26-2007 at 05:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: bad typos

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin