Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,496   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Brooks Jensen on niches and APUG

If you have a chance to listen to BJ's last podcast, he talks about the development of market niches, and talks about APUG & Emulsion (without naming the latter, though).

In a nutshell, he argues against the over-nichification (word?) of photography, and proposes instead a more inclusive approach to marketing, and a Renaissance man-like development model for the artist.

I was wondering, if you had a chance to listen to it, if that made you think at all about the question of niches. They have become a very solid and almost dominant mode of marketing in the recent years, and I don't see them going away. But they also pose the problem of being potential cul-de-sac, should they become too hermetic.

For me, the thing that rang a bell was the Renaissance-man part, the need for a few more structured discussions on subject between photography and lounge chatter. I'm sure many of you have interesting things to say about painting and literature, and no, I don't really want to go to a painting forum to talk about them, because I find many people here to be interesting persons.

So, what do you think Poussin meant by "Et in Arcadia ego", then?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    If you have a chance to listen to BJ's last podcast, he talks about the development of market niches, and talks about APUG & Emulsion (without naming the latter, though).

In a nutshell, he argues against the over-nichification (word?) of photography, and proposes instead a more inclusive approach to marketing, and a Renaissance man-like development model for the artist.

I was wondering, if you had a chance to listen to it, if that made you think at all about the question of niches. They have become a very solid and almost dominant mode of marketing in the recent years, and I don't see them going away. But they also pose the problem of being potential cul-de-sac, should they become too hermetic.
    I dont podcast so I can only guess at the content. Feel free to tell me how far off base I am, I'm just ranting from memory.

I suspect Brooks and others like him who have made similar decisions away from tradition in their photography and/or business feel the need to justify those decisions, and attempt to get others to "see the light". We see it all the time-big name goes digital; big name issues statement explaining how much more enlightened they are now. Yawn.

Frankly, without niches such as APUG and Emulsion there would be little to keep my interest in photography at all. This doesnt matter in the big picture of the overall market- we arent doing any harm to anything, especially ourselves, and we are too small to matter to the larger market. Some people just dont like the idea of us existing at all. We are troubling reminders of what they once were. They dont like it. They want to bring is in from the cold, to homogenize us into one big happy enlightened analog-digital melting pot where distinctions in craft are non-existent.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wayne, I wouldn't put Jensen in the New Enlightened school completely, simply because he still publishes analog photographers, but he does have a fair share of appreciation for the digital workflow.

I think his idea is not that people should stop using film and See The Light(tm), but rather take a more holistic approach to their thinking: not just film and digital, but also music, painting, current affairs and so on.

In sum, he just thinks Emulsion is going nowhere.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh Sean! You evil man! You and APUG are "dangerous to our culture"!

IMO Mr. Jensen has certainly missed the boat on this one. How many of us are also painters, writers, composers, sculptors, scientists, psychologists, poets, doctors, politicians, etc, etc.? A great many of us, judging by past posts. And he calls us narrow-minded?? I, for one, do not avoid looking at digitally created photographs. I don't, however, give at rat's a$$ how it was done or what it was done with (which seems to be the focus of many sites and magazines that include digital). That is why I am here at APUG, why I subscribe to Emulsion. And yes, I buy LensWork (no tech-talk!)

My love is for analog. What makes that so dangerous?
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As much as I respect Mr Jensen, he's a big niche-wit on this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the ultra pluralist world we live in I believe that building wals and or creating niches are the only way for any group to maintain cohesion and purpose.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    In the ultra pluralist world we live in I believe that building walls and or creating niches are the only way for any group to maintain cohesion and purpose.
    I totally agree with you on this. I don't think that there is any way to get the same level of detail that a focused group provides without that specialization.

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That, really pushes the lenswork to become just another digital photography magazine with a better print quality plus restrictions on talking about which digital camera is better. So sad, but people need survive, who can blame him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I were only to read one periodical about photography, I'd agree that too narrow a focus wouldn't be a good thing. But, I don't, and from threads here about what periodicals are read by 'puggers neither do most of us. In fact, a great many of us read Lenswork, which is a niche publication in that it offers black and white images only, right? Sometimes, though, I truly am grateful to have niche publications (I think many call them 'zines), and the narrower the better. I can always pick up Popular Photography if my 'art world view' becomes overly eremitic!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just listened to the podcast, and it sounds to me like Brooks is making a prediction on the future based on a too-limited sample and is likely taking things to an extreme based on this limited view, without regard to all the factors involved.

Take me for example. I am a paying member of APUG. I paint, draw, and photograph. I go to museums, galleries, and show of all types of artistic media. Last year I bought mixed media, photographs, and paintings (all from living artists). Just because I prefer to work with my physical hands to create what I create doesn't mean that I will continue to focus inward ad infinitum. I appreciate craftsmanship and skill. I feel that people can exhibit craftsmanship, and that machines cannot. How do I fit into his view? Am I destined to become a hermit because once I have started to exhibit a dislike for certain aspects of my world I am locked into that path forever, unable to react further or have any change in my world view? Am I to forgo future visits to any museum that shows art that is not %100 hand made simply because I choose not to use computers in my own creative endeavors?

Life is so complex that no one person can understand much more than a fraction of it at any given time, so how are we to begin to understand any given concept without breaking it down into more manageable parts? If I want to learn more about the intricacies developing film, would I ask here, where the focus is clearly on that subject, or on a site that focuses on photography in general, where I could get any number of repeated misunderstandings from those who have little or no practical experience? It would be like going to the library and looking down every isle for what I want rather than looking up the section that covers my subject and going there directly.

Focused group exist for a reason - they provide depth and details on their specific subject area and inclusion in one group does not by default require exclusion from all others. Without a site like APUG, I would know far, far less about the methods that I use in my own photography, yet I still participate in groups that have a photographic theme which are not analog-only.

Just as with any study, specialized groups of people form naturally to explore the aspects of their interests in greater detail – a level of detail that requires focus. While I believe that all things should be taken in moderation, there is no reason not to pursue your interests to the level you feel like pursuing. Nor do I feel that in doing so we jeopardize anyone else – everyone is free to do what they want. If they feel that they need external justification for what they choose to do, perhaps they should rethink what they are doing, and why they are doing it...

- Randy

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin