Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,769   Online: 1135
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,801
    Well, arigram, when you have no options but one, it is easy. You go that route Here are no options. I can chose, to go digi or to buy abroad. You have to accept fact that you can find yourself (or you already are) in same situation. Then you will see that what are you telling now is good thinking, but academic, that is you can't do anything about it. Oh, no, there is one thing. You can ask Ilford, Kodak, Tetenal or others to sign contract you to be theire distributer. If you can find funding capital for that, and you think there is financial viability, go for it. I can't. In my country (population about 4 millions) if here is 100 film photographers I would be happy... In fact if here is 100 photographers at all I would be happy

    I am afraid that even in countries like France, UK, Germany, in future you will not be able to walk into store and to buy liter of developer or 2 rolls of film. Even those big markets will change in a way everything will have to be preordered...

    Science, religion, destiny, please, prove me I am wrong!!!!!!
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    I am afraid that even in countries like France, UK, Germany, in future you will not be able to walk into store and to buy liter of developer or 2 rolls of film. Even those big markets will change in a way everything will have to be preordered...
    I'm sure you're right. In a few big cities you'll be all right -- London, Paris, Berlin, Munich -- but otherwise it will be a question of knowing a nearby dealer if you're lucky (in the UK, for example, Robert White in Bournemouth, Camerex in Exeter, Bernard Hunter in Bristol) or mail order. I don't know anywhere in Poitiers (40 km) and I might as well go to Paris (300 km) as Tours (100 km) -- or order from the UK.

    You also have to ask why the small dealer would bother to special-order: top prices, long delays, when mail order is cheaper and quicker. Ilford's new direct-order scheme is clever, and may be a model for the future.

    Meanwhile, to cheer people up, here's a picture of Martin Reed at Silverprint taken in November or thereabouts (it's already appeared in another thread, but they deserve all the support we can give).

    Cheers,

    R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silverprint.JPG  

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I believe so. Just this week I had trouble finding a store that knew they could even obtain certain Ilfochrome products. I was told by all of them that they couldnt get it, even after I inisted that they were wrong and told them to contact the distributor. In at least 2 cases I was talking directly with the store's buyer. All of them use the same distributor, and all of them were 100% wrong. To their credit, one store dug deeper and found out they were wrong, but only after I pushed them to do so. The other two said in effect "sorry pal, you are out of luck". One of them did dig deeper (but obviously not deep enough) and called me back with the same wrong answer as before. Its a wonder there are any analog products selling with this inexcusable confusion going on.

    Wayne
    It's funny that I've had similar experiences at the stores in bigger cities here in Japan, but not at the local one in the rural area, which is close to where I live. Certain toxic chemicals like selenium toner are getting hard to get over here, but when I found out that I could get it at this local store where there's virtually no film equipment or supplies any more, I was pretty happy. The store clerks had no knowledge of the things that I wanted to order, but it was just a matter of how to talk them out in the end.

    For this I have learned that I have to find someone in the store who is not busy at all, and if it's a young lady, it's sort of easier for me to deal with for some reason...

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Oriental/Cybergraphics in Japan has online-shopping and direct mail order options for their products, and most of their items are listed much cheaper than the ones in regualr retail stores.

    But I still prefer to buy things at the stores I go to and have a little chat with the people there about the products I'm interested in getting sometimes.

  5. #15
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    It would be a brave and fool hardy individual who would open an independent photography store today!

    The reality is that none of them can survive trying, for example, to sell digicameras. The "big box" stores and web-sellers can always out price them. And with reduced film sales there's no money to be made there anymore. Buy/Sell used gear like the days of old? Hey, it's a digital era - NO ONE WANTS USED GEAR!

    As to processing, the one-hour operations at the drug store chains and other retailers (e.g. Wally and Target) have fully adapted to the digishooters, offering both D-I-Y and "we'll do it for you" options. And yes, they can do C-41 too.

    So you can imagine how unlikely it is becoming to expect to find places to purchase chemicals and related gear nowadays just about anywhere. Sadly, the "indy" photo store is dying off like the dinosaurs.

    Simple fact is, now we almost always have to go to the web - and hope there are no restrictions on shipping the chemicals we need.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    It would be a brave and fool hardy individual who would open an independent photography store today!
    You've got to be kidding. The fact is we do need independent photo supply stores who have a better understanding on the traditional photo materials that we need than those with a corporate mentality.

    When you order something online or at a store, if it doesn't show up on their computer screen, you need actual people with brain to do a search for you to find out, and they have to be independent-minded people, otherwise they will say no they don't have it or whatever. That will be the end no matter where you go. But that's not the way to keep going on this road.

    I kind of see this very similar to the book industry. What have Barnes & Noble and amazon done to the current book market over the years? And who owns the major publishing companies in the industry?

    If the biggies set out a certain trend in the mainstream market and there are no alternatives, I'm not sure if we will still have a healthly-enough market-economy or not. I'm not sure if we can still practice art within such a narrow scope. I understand the global marginalization of the whole photo market, but that doesn't mean it's a justifiable thing to watch if you really care about it.
    Last edited by firecracker; 03-31-2007 at 11:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Simple fact is, now we almost always have to go to the web - and hope there are no restrictions on shipping the chemicals we need.

    The fact is that this is exactly what we need some local photo stores for. Toxic chemicals are hard to transport even within the same country, generally speaking. But if your local store can special-order them for you, you won't lose any sleep.
    Last edited by firecracker; 04-01-2007 at 05:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    16,887
    hi george -

    its funny that you say this ..
    i was just thinking today that it would be
    a perfect time to open an all analog photo store.
    since all the existing photo stores are failing to carry any
    chemicals, film, or paper, people are forced to buy online since there
    is no one local left.

    you suggest that no one wants used photo equipment?
    seems like ebay is going strong



    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    It would be a brave and fool hardy individual who would open an independent photography store today!

    The reality is that none of them can survive trying, for example, to sell digicameras. The "big box" stores and web-sellers can always out price them. And with reduced film sales there's no money to be made there anymore. Buy/Sell used gear like the days of old? Hey, it's a digital era - NO ONE WANTS USED GEAR!

    As to processing, the one-hour operations at the drug store chains and other retailers (e.g. Wally and Target) have fully adapted to the digishooters, offering both D-I-Y and "we'll do it for you" options. And yes, they can do C-41 too.

    So you can imagine how unlikely it is becoming to expect to find places to purchase chemicals and related gear nowadays just about anywhere. Sadly, the "indy" photo store is dying off like the dinosaurs.

    Simple fact is, now we almost always have to go to the web - and hope there are no restrictions on shipping the chemicals we need.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Yemen Baby!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    250
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi george -

    its funny that you say this ..
    i was just thinking today that it would be
    a perfect time to open an all analog photo store.
    since all the existing photo stores are failing to carry any
    chemicals, film, or paper, people are forced to buy online since there
    is no one local left.

    you suggest that no one wants used photo equipment?
    seems like ebay is going strong
    Ebay is selling items on a worldwide basis, a store selling used analog gear is hopeless unless you have a big web presence. There is a reason why stores have mostly stopped selling analog photo supplies and it's not because they hate analog photographers. It's because that stuff doesn't sell in large enough quantities to make it worth it. Analog photography is a niche, freestyle, J&C, silverprint, etc. may be the only places that the market can support anymore.


    Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7 View Post
    Ebay is selling items on a worldwide basis, a store selling used analog gear is hopeless unless you have a big web presence. There is a reason why stores have mostly stopped selling analog photo supplies and it's not because they hate analog photographers. It's because that stuff doesn't sell in large enough quantities to make it worth it. Analog photography is a niche, freestyle, J&C, silverprint, etc. may be the only places that the market can support anymore.


    Isaac
    I don't know if the "nitche" market thing has anything to do with what we've been discussing here. Wouldn't you rather actually see and feel what you are buying first before paying your money?

    I wonder if people buy used cars online as often and as much as we here do buy used cameras and lenses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin