Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,074   Online: 726

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

The Philosophy of Stieglitz

While reading Ansel Adams' "Polaroid Land Photography" book, I ran across this passage where Alfred Steiglitz his view of the creative photographic process.
    To paraphrase his [Steiglitz's] remarks: "I go into the world as a photographer. I desire to make a photograph. I come across some aspect of the world that interests me emotionally or aesthetically. I see the image I desire in my mind's eye and I compose and expose accordingly. I give you the photograph as the equivalent of what I saw and felt".
    Reference: Ansel Adams, "Polaroid Land Photography", 1978 edition, page 72.

That pretty much does it for me, although I've never been able to articulate it so well.

What do you think?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would be Stieglitz.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes I photograph because I find something interesting, beautiful, or powerful. Usually its a need to communicate or share.

I don't exactly agree with Steiglitz, but I would say we have similar motivation. Although he's much better at it than I am!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that's pretty straight forward isn't it. Though I must say that doesn't quite fit for me. A large part (I guess the majority) of my anticipated result is made when I expose the film, but a smaller but very significant part occurs at the time of printing.

There may also have been a general shift in that regard since Stieglitz's time, when often the objective was to make the printed image very closely match the viewed scene. The out clause of course was how ridged the image in my mind's eye was. I suspect that M Kenna for example allows himself a little more creative freedom in the darkroom perhaps than Stieglitz did.

Of course this must vary from one photographer to the next, and probably leads to topics already well debated.
    Last edited by John McCallum; 03-30-2007 at 02:22 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar etc ... the usual.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80 View Post
    Sometimes I photograph because I find something interesting, beautiful, or powerful. Usually its a need to communicate or share.

I don't exactly agree with Steiglitz, but I would say we have similar motivation. Although he's much better at it than I am!
    STIEGLITZ !!!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    While reading Ansel Adams' "Polaroid Land Photography" book, I ran across this passage where Alfred Steiglitz his view of the creative photographic process.

Reference: Ansel Adams, "Polaroid Land Photography", 1978 edition, page 72.

That pretty much does it for me, although I've never been able to articulate it so well.

What do you think?
    Id have to agree with you on this alex. thats a wonderfully simple and concise definition of a fairly complex thing (at least in my mind)
    If you havent already, there is a fascinating book about steiglitz and that entire time period in photography/art world and the world at large called "an american lens" by Jay Bochner

it can be a bit wordy and long winded but nonetheless a good read. It discusses everything from music to photography to painting to writing. But all within the context of the avant garde and beginning of modernism. Its a great book talking alot about steiglitz as whole and the time period he lived and worked in.

It's Stieglitz NOT Steiglitz

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think most people still get the idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "i" before "e" :rolleyes:
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sattler123 View Post
    It's Stieglitz NOT Steiglitz
    Please excuse my typo.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin