Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,773   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think part of it comes from supposedly independant reviews done by people who barely know what they are talking about. The reviews devolve down to checklists of features, and people think that just because it has more features that makes it somehow better. No matter that the "features" are implemented with no consideration of logic.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    My vote's for "my life in the bush of ghosts' with david byrne - have you HEARD that?? my god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QLXTsviMxk
    Yes! Most excellent. Byrne and Eno were a great mix of talent...

Cult of analogue...I like that. I've always wondered if digital could somehow eat itself; although the sweetest revenge will undoubtedly involve my own destruction! :-D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote: "Software options proliferate extremely easily, too easily in fact, because too many options create tools that can't ever be used intuitively. Intuitive actions confine the detail work to a dedicated part of the brain, leaving the rest of one's mind free to respond with attention and sensitivity to the changing texture of the moment. With tools, we crave intimacy. This appetite for emotional resonance explains why users - when given a choice - prefer deep rapport over endless options. You can't have a relationship with a device whose limits are unknown to you, because without limits it keeps becoming something else."

Interesting article and very well written, in my opinion. Perhaps I am failing to grasp the meaning of the author...perhaps things have changed in the interim since he originally proferred his thesis. Irregardless, let me go on to say a few things, based in my experience and thoughts originating in that experience.

I think that the intuitive process that the author speaks of in this missive is perhaps misunderstood or perhaps he means something entirely different than I do when I speak of "intuitive process." To me the truly "intuitive process" begins within the realm of the "possible but heretofore unexpressed". This is "true creativity" at it's very core.

When we dispense with new technology out of hand because it is new and it is technology we limit our realm of the "possible".

Copies of photographs that were copies of other photographs made by other photographers who themselves were making copies of trees, rocks, doorways, and decay is not creative. It is simply duplication and it is most often illustrative. What is truly intuitive or creative about that? We like to think of ourselves as creative artists working in the realm of traditional photography and yet are we really truly creative artists? What is a "new creation" about what we bring forth?

I realize that there has been a long standing and often vitriolic debate about the so called "traditional and D******" process. Yet I observe those who have embraced the later to be stretching not only the limits of expression within that realm but also discovering new means of utilizing that techology. That, to me, is more intuitive and and hence more creative not less so.
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 04-16-2007 at 02:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald - I think what eno was saying has more to do with those who lockstep blindly with others into where they're told to go by tech marketing and assume they're 'being creative' because they bought the product.... whereas just sitting back and exploiting alternate possibilities with the humble tools you already have - can be FAR more rewarding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "This appetite for emotional resonance explains why users - when given a choice - prefer deep rapport over endless options. You can't have a relationship with a device whose limits are unknown to you, because without limits it keeps becoming something else."

This insight certainly "resonates" with me. The contrast of mental vs muscular activity is also worth pondering. Every guitarist who plays an E chord will do it a little differently and bring out slightly different nuance and emphasis.

As for exposure to Eno's music my first encounter was 31 years ago in a chemically altered state listening to Phil Manzanera's Diamond Head album at a party. What is that music I remember thinking before finding the LP cover with the big old locomotive on the front. Ah, 1976, my first year at Uni (college). I can still picture the room, the stereo system, where I was sitting, the girl I had a crush on and drove back to her dorm. at Sydney Uni(end of story!) etc. etc.

Thanks for posting David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny timing. I was just listening to The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East last night, and thinking what a magnificent sound those Marshalls pumped out.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, I saw yesterday that someone has finally married a tube amp up to an iPod dock.

Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    when i listen to brian eno's music done way back in the 70s, it still
    sounds ahead of its time ( and even now ).

i wonder what peter fripp things of all this stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You mean robert?? (fripp)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    You mean robert?? (fripp)
    yeah
    i never get his name right, even when i know it is robert, i say peter :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ha ha... it's like in architecture school when people would refer to the writings of kenneth (peter) frampton.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin