Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,060   Online: 988

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Do you keep dirty little secrets?

I prefer to let viewers of my work fill in the blanks for themselves, instead of spoon feeding them my intentions. I won't even correct them when they say, "Oh, I love the mist in the trees", when it was actually smoke from a nearby clear cut that was being slash burned, or when they say, "Oh, I love the fog in the trees", when it was snowing like crazy and the exposure was 1 minute, 30 seconds. There's even more examples when it comes to dodging and burning, like the darkly menacing storm clouds on the fine print which are light grey on the contact print.

Do you keep your slight-of-hand to yourself, or do you pull the curtain aside and reveal the Great Wizard of Oz's secrets?

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 04-05-2007 at 12:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like to "correct" people in a light-hearted way to open them to the many new visual possibilities that are out there. Often enough, when people realize they are "wrong," they enjoy the photo even more because of the surprise element. FWIW.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The large version of the little picture to the left of a tree lined path beyond a gate looks like it was taken on a misty morning. It was actually taken at noon on a very hot, hazy day.
    I don't usually bother to correct people who think it is mist.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find myself constantly correcting/defending my work from people who say "How nice.Did you photoshop in those clouds/trees/etc."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It depends, greatly on the situation. A title, or even the lack of it, CAN pres-set the "experiencer" to a certain "channel of awareness".

In general I prefer and rely on their INTUITION (there is that word again) to receive the emotional message (hmm... Freudian Slip: "massage") I send.

I'm dancing on eggs here, trying to be concise.

Explanations MAY follow, and usually do, if there is an interest in a particular aspect of the work.
    Last edited by Ed Sukach; 04-05-2007 at 06:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fine tuning.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    I try not to talk about the techinical issues whenever possible at a viewing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like to let the viewer have an intimate relationship with the image, and in doing so I feel it is important not to cloud their judgement as to whether they like or dislike the photgraph with technical issues. If some one likes my work, and that piece of work contains a punctum that connects them to the image then that is cool with me.

Of course, if someone should ask a question about how I achieved this or that then it would be inpolite not to answer them truthfully.

My biggest downfall was, and I have learnt to keep quiet about these now, the highlighting if imperfections in the final print. I'd say "Yeah it's a nice print but..." I keep quiet and hope that to the untrained eye such minor defects go unseen so I guess this maybe my little dirty secret...

Cheers

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depend of situation. But, I have one rule: I don't show again any of my prints to someone who ask "who is she" (model) and not pay attention on any aspect of photograph itself...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I find myself constantly correcting/defending my work from people who say "How nice.Did you photoshop in those clouds/trees/etc."
    Thats when I would, instead of slapping them, turn and walk away in disgust after asking them what they are doing there in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    Thats when I would, instead of slapping them, turn and walk away in disgust after asking them what they are doing there in the first place.
    I'd probably go wide-eyed, slap my forehead and say "I coulda done that with Photoshop...you're right...damn...that woulda been a lot easier." And then walked away, sulking.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin