Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,353   Online: 1126

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I took from this article is:

No matter who you are, what you are, what you have and what you can do, if you do not present yourself and what you can do in the right time, right place to right people, you're nobody.

A one more thing...All technicalities written in this thead is a dry discussion about non important aspect of the study.

Last comment...Comparing playing music in the Metro to picture hanging on the airport is completely incompatible, because music is a dynamic presentation, it caries in the space to you, pictures does not carry vision to you you have to search for it. I hope I making some sense what I'm trying to explain.

Cheers,
    Peter Hruby
    LF Silver Photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    Last comment...Comparing playing music in the Metro to picture hanging on the airport is completely incompatible, because music is a dynamic presentation, it caries in the space to you, pictures does not carry vision to you you have to search for it. I hope I making some sense what I'm trying to explain.
    Dear Peter,

An interesting argument, because it illustrates very clearly how perception and appreciation vary. I'd say almost the exact opposite: a picture communicates immediately, because I tend to be more aware of my visual surroundings than my sound surroundings, whereas music (for me) has to be listened to deliberately. I really dislike background music; I can't work if there's music playing unless I can ignore it completely (so I'm pretty good at ignoring most kinds of music).

Of course I can ignore many pictures and of course a piece of music can grab my attention, but the above generalization holds good for me.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    An interesting argument, because it illustrates very clearly how perception and appreciation vary. I'd say almost the exact opposite: a picture communicates immediately, because I tend to be more aware of my visual surroundings than my sound surroundings, whereas music (for me) has to be listened to deliberately. I really dislike background music; I can't work if there's music playing unless I can ignore it completely (so I'm pretty good at ignoring most kinds of music).
    That's why I can't have music playing in my darkroom. I have tried it, and found myself forgetting to agitate film, move prints to the next tray, or any number of faux pas, because I was too caught up in Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's why I can't have music playing in my darkroom. I have tried it, and found myself forgetting to agitate film, move prints to the next tray, or any number of faux pas, because I was too caught up in Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.-eddym

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    That's why I can't have music playing in my darkroom. I have tried it, and found myself forgetting to agitate film, move prints to the next tray, or any number of faux pas, because I was too caught up in Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.
    Dear Eddy,

YES!

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I simply could not spend any serious time in the darkroom without music.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I hesitate to state this on the grounds it means I am dating myself; but I have a difficult time working on much of anything with background music. Yet, it seems to me that most "younger" folk have grown up with the constant presence of background music such that they are just the opposite.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I can develop film with music or the news on the radio. I can't listen to music while printing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin