Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,596   Online: 984

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    If this site went away, I'd keep taking photos, but miss the resource and encouragement it provides.
    Agreed. I also feel, as Ed stated, that APUG is a stronghold, not a last hurrah...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A drop..

I've been lurking about here for a while, reading voraciously, if a little more subdued on posting, however this particular post caught my eye..

Last Sunday I went out with my daughters to take some photo's with a dslr a 35mm and a TLR. One held on firmly to the D*****l, clicking merrily at anything that moved, the other insisted on using the Autocord, taking her time to get it "just right" .. now, at 12, she's hooked. We came home and I proudly handed over an old Ricohflex that she is bursting to get out and use.. Oh dear.. I might just have to take her out..

The information, knowledge and wealth of experience here in apug is invaluable to me, and I believe many many more..
    It may well be just a drop, but many drops will someday make a river..

I'm with the Stronghold..
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting piece yesterday by Oren Grad on the new Ebony Whole Plate camera on Mike Johnston's blog--

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspo...eplate_09.html

Of particular relevance to this thread is the last section on the role of the internet in making it happen. APUG is a piece in that puzzle.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is logical to me to find higher percentage of dig shooters on internet, for it is their natural space. However for photographers darkroom is more natural place than internet, so just a small percentige of photographers are on internet. if one go to Leica site, which is digital site, one can find posts and viewing here and there, go to Nikonians.org digital site too and one will find just a fraction of posts we have here, go to photo.net and one will find that all the time the same guys mumbling against themself how digital is good and after a while he came back to photography. I found here 60000 viewing on just one single post, as portrait of yor darkroom.
    I think, as I said so many times, photography is by no means in any trouble. Only freaken manufacturers and dealers lift dust for their profit is going down, rising pressure to photographers. One out next in, that is how it works with manufacturers. As long as there are guys to buy films there will be guys to make films. Photography has its very specific features not found in any other medium, so it is very enough not to worry.
    As I can see the only way photography will go in future is upward, and who can tell me, with facts, opposite.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know there are far more film users out there that haven't even signed on to APUG or even know about it. When I joined the local camera club last year (yeah, yeah, yeah, I joined a camera club - now back off!) I found out that there were several people who still shot film and loved it. None had any type of high speed internet access! Maybe the technology luddite label has some truth?

Somedays I think it's a stronghold, some days I think it needs the paddles.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think of it more as a porthole - if you took it away, it would be harder to keep in touch and see what is happening.

In some fundamental ways it helps replace the local photo store of yore.

The internet and digital have reduced the opportunities for direct and hands-on contact, but increased greatly the opportunity for world wide communication. Sites like APUG make the new paradigm* much more palatable, and do offer some opportunity to mobilize opinion.

Matt

* my apologies for using the cliche "paradigm", but I do think that this is an example where it is appropriate

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think a stronghold as well. Ilford's representative Simon Galley on APUG indicates, to me, a stronghold, not a last hurrah. Would be nice to have someone from Kodak and others too, though.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APUG is unique among the photography bulletin boards I visit only in its exclusion of discussions about digital photography. IMO the best of the lot is the french LF board, which seems to me to be at a higher technical, intellectual, and, um, literary level than any of the others. By the way, although the French discuss digital and all that, the board doesn't host photos. Neither does www. graflex.org. IMO, photo hosting is a costly disaster.

I'm sure that using APUG pleases many of the people who post here, and perhaps the lurkers too. With no data on which to base an opinion, I have no well-founded opinion about whether APUG's existence increases the use of film. My gut, which is often wrong but will speak with no data at all, says that APUG has no effect on film sales or the number of people who shoot film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm sure that using APUG pleases many of the people who post here, and perhaps the lurkers too. With no data on which to base an opinion, I have no well-founded opinion about whether APUG's existence increases the use of film. My gut, which is often wrong but will speak with no data at all, says that APUG has no effect on film sales or the number of people who shoot film.
    Inclined to take the same view as Dan although nowhere nearing the number of posts Dan has made, and reading the posts here I wonder if there is a correlation between the no. of posts made by a poster, and their agreement to state that this is a stronghold?

Insofar as we are discussing APUG that is. It takes a certain personality type to want to post and post on a forum, and this forum is not representative of photography users. It is probably representative of photography users who find the internet forum a useful site though.

Not so sure if the poster's question applies in the case with other forums such as the Large Format Photography Forum. There has been a huge foray of interactional feedback from camera manufacturers and forum users, pledging to support one another (e.g. Fotoman's project & whole-plate film holders). Another notable exception is the presence of Simon Galley as a representative for Ilford Harmon on this site. However trawling back on all of the laudatory statements made in response to the Ultra-large format film offer by Ilford, and finding the grim reality that all of the positive comments amounted to...less than Ilford's minimum orders does make me blink a little at the mass effect on this forum.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I dunno but I suggested linking together to let film manufacturers know that we are still out here. Tough sales would be indicative of our existence. I love the site but without it I would get a great deal more done.

(no, honey, uh, the , mower's broke. that's it)
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin