Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,882   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

IF THIS SITE WENT AWAY....

How vital is APUG to preserving film photography?

I spend a lot of time here because it connects me to my "filmster philosophy" of photography. I find "comfort" here because I know that at least within this cuccoon I do not have to deal with the d****** world.

But is this place a stronghold or just a last hurrah?

Are we getting anywhere - or are we just getting stale?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    How vital is APUG to preserving film photography?

I don't think that APUG members will have very much influence on the preservation of film. There aren't enough members here purchasing the quantity of film (and paper) to make a big difference.

Enjoy film while it lasts, which I think it will for a while. Unfortunately it will continue to get more expensive every year and most likely choices for film and paper will gradually shrink.

Personally I think people spend too much time on line and not enough time in their darkroom or exposing film.

What did you do today regarding film photography?

Me? I processed 8 sheets of film.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    I don't think that APUG members will have very much influence on the preservation of film. There aren't enough members here purchasing the quantity of film (and paper) to make a big difference.
    I totaly agree. I have been finishing up my taxes and my total expenses on photography related items, including film and paper was approx. $2,000.00 U.S.
    If every member here spent that same amount in 2006 that still is not enough to persuade companies to keep supplying materials. I relaize, if my math is correct, that the total is approx. $4,000,000.00 and that is no small amount of change.
    If you divide that by the number of suppliers then that amount of revenue rapidly decreases per supplier.

I will continue to do all I can to support film as long as I can squeeze it out of my pocket book.

Gary
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post

But is this place a stronghold or just a last hurrah?

To judge by newbies' comments, they are often often happy to discover APUG as a resource which takes the place today of the metaphorical *guy next door" from whom most people learned photography in the days of yore. I personally feel that the contraction of the analog material market has pretty much run its course, but I could be wrong. One worrying long-term factor is that analog materials users tend to focus on high levels of craft skills rather than outstanding artistic expression or originality!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    analog materials users tend to focus on high levels of craft skills rather than outstanding artistic expression or originality!
    Not really, I think it's just anyone these days who mentions "craft" is automatically singled out as only caring about "craft". It is a method of attack that has become all too familiar not just in photography but any art form that digital methods have encroached upon. "This guy is talking about hand carving instead of laser carving, the guy obviously only cares about craft", "Look at that guy talking about canvas and paint, hello! get a digitablet,, these people I tell ya are all the same, all they care about is the craft side" etc etc.
    The reality is artists can actually care about craft and art at the same exact time, and find it very rewarding..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I survived without APUG for a long time when I'd started photography. I learnt the basics from my mum and to a lesser extent, my photography teacher (mothers know everything), so I don't see APUG as the last stronghold of analogue, just more of a place for people to meet and coordinate their efforts and share their interest. People get interested when they find our you're using film.
    If this site went away, I'd keep taking photos, but miss the resource and encouragement it provides.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary892 View Post
    I totaly agree. I have been finishing up my taxes and my total expenses on photography related items, including film and paper was approx. $2,000.00 U.S.
    If every member here spent that same amount in 2006 that still is not enough to persuade companies to keep supplying materials. I relaize, if my math is correct, that the total is approx. $4,000,000.00 and that is no small amount of change.
    If you divide that by the number of suppliers then that amount of revenue rapidly decreases per supplier.

I will continue to do all I can to support film as long as I can squeeze it out of my pocket book.

Gary
    And $4 million might be one day of Kodak's film coating capacity..let alone other film manufacturers...EC

Shooter
    Large Format
    The original math is off by a factor of 10. $2000 x 20,000 members is $40,000,000. Still a drop in the bucket for Kodak. I'm also sure that I can't be the only Apug member that spent more than $2,000 last year on film, paper and chemicals.....just don't tell the Mrs.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been doing photography (film and digital) for the past 5 to 6 years, and only signed on on APUG a few months ago. Being able to talk analog photography with a group of APUGers just make analog photography more fun. Even without APUG, I'll continue to shoot 35mm film. I will continue to support the film industry as long as I'm able to, and hope to introduce the joys of analog photography to my future kids and grand kids.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stronghold.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin