Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,572   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hkr View Post
    Please feel free to add to the list. I'll get things started:

- Referring to lenses as “glass”.
    Guilty!

- Referring to film developing as “souping”.
    Guilty!

- “Photography means nothing – it is life that interests me”, or something like that. With apologies to HCB, far and away my favorite photographer.
    Guilty!

- The merits of shooting RAW v. JPEG. Digital, I know, but what is more boring than listening to such drivel?
    Huh?

- The merits of today’s FB v. RC papers. Seriously folks, does anyone actually think an RC print won’t archive as well, all else being equal?
    Uh, yes.

- Closet-gearheads who profess that the equipment really doesn’t matter.
    The right tool for the right job.

- On Photography, by Susan Sontag.

- No-name photogs who think anyone would possibly want to dish out hundreds or thousands of dollars their “limited edition” prints. Check any issue of B&W for a reference.
    Guilty! (well, thousands only if they really feel they have to.)

- The idea that photographs must "say something". PLEASE. Most of the photographs I love most say nothing to me. I just like looking at them.
    Agreed!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry to go a bit OT but does anyone here know the root and etymology of the word: snob?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I think that a book about photography with no photographs is sort of a refreshing notion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

- The merits of today’s FB v. RC papers. Seriously folks, does anyone actually think an RC print won’t archive as well, all else being equal?
    I know that it won't. Not that I mind, since RC prints don't look as good as fiber based ones anyway.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Sorry to go a bit OT but does anyone here know the root and etymology of the word: snob?
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none

the best I can do at work (no print references here...)

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I know that it won't. Not that I mind, since RC prints don't look as good as fiber based ones anyway.
    Plus they feel icky.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I tried to read On Photography, but lost interest and haven't finished it yet.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My, we're all bored today. Cranky, too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Two quotes:

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

"The proof of the pudding is in the tasting."

The things you're complaining about are just words / terms. If the photographer is producing good work, or learning his / her way, or having great fun in the process, I don't care what vocabulary he / she uses. I included having fun because you want new people coming up the ladder. They're the ones having fun, but maybe tossing some odd language about.

However - if the photographer doesn't actually know what he/ she is doing, isn't producting good work in spite of using flowery / snobbish language, and isn't even having fun - then I'd be the first to laugh at him / her for being a poser instead of an enthusiast; poser being somebody for whom the hobby is just a lifestyle accessory.

Beware - sometimes it's very hard to tell the difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - The idea that photographs must "say something". PLEASE. Most of the photographs I love most say nothing to me. I just like looking at them.
    I dunno; may I suggest scheduling a visit to a respected phychoanalyst if you hear voices coming from a photograph again . Do they tell you to do things or come with divine messages attached? If the photographs are mounted on a wall, it's probably just your neighbors stereo set at high volume:rolleyes: .
    - On Photography, by Susan Sontag.
    While cleaning out a storage room during my college days, I came across that book, and being completely naive and ignorant to both subject and author, I set forth reading it cover to cover. Wasn't that impressed by it (maybe due to the fact that I didn't understand much to begin with); much bloated artsy talk and no substance (kinda like a bland low-carb diet). But at least I managed to finish it .

Chris - it's Friday the 13th today
    Last edited by big_ben_blue; 04-13-2007 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't spell to save my life
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin