Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,025   Online: 1153

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1216171819202122
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hkr View Post
    Please feel free to add to the list. I'll get things started:

- Referring to lenses as “glass”.

- Referring to film developing as “souping”.

- “Photography means nothing – it is life that interests me”, or something like that. With apologies to HCB, far and away my favorite photographer.

- The merits of shooting RAW v. JPEG. Digital, I know, but what is more boring than listening to such drivel?

- The merits of today’s FB v. RC papers. Seriously folks, does anyone actually think an RC print won’t archive as well, all else being equal?

- Closet-gearheads who profess that the equipment really doesn’t matter.

- On Photography, by Susan Sontag.

- No-name photogs who think anyone would possibly want to dish out hundreds or thousands of dollars their “limited edition” prints. Check any issue of B&W for a reference.

- The idea that photographs must "say something". PLEASE. Most of the photographs I love most say nothing to me. I just like looking at them.
    Snobby remarks? What about from photojournalists who apparently feel that "people pictures" (war, misery and foibles) are the only valid type of expression in photography, and who spout stupidities about West Coast photographers such as, "I don't understand these guys —photographing rocks and trees while the whole world is falling apart" (a quote which is attributed, by the way, to your "far and away my favorite photographer"!)

Christopher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    Snobby remarks? What about from photojournalists who apparently feel that "people pictures" (war, misery and foibles) are the only valid type of expression in photography, and who spout stupidities about West Coast photographers such as, "I don't understand these guys —photographing rocks and trees while the whole world is falling apart" (a quote which is attributed, by the way, to your "far and away my favorite photographer"!)

Christopher

Photojournalism doesn't involve a whole lot of landscape photography. Some, but not a whole lot. Is that surprising?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I have heard is that in English public (=private) schools some pupils had SNOB behind their names in the records, meaning sine nobilitat i.e. not of noble birth. True?
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Well, there's Summar (original prewar 50/2 lens), Summitar (revised f/2 version wartime and post-war), Summicron (since 1950s, still current f/2 in 35/50/75/90mm). Then there's Summarit (50/1.5), replaced to avoid confusion with Summilux (f/1.4, in 35mm, 50mm, 75mm). Many have been redesigned at least once, sometimes radically.

I've had various versions of most of these lenses, and I've used the ones I haven't had, and it seems to me that the names are quite useful -- though I do find the abbreviations ('cron and 'lux) affected, though not necessarily snobbish. I wasn't sure what the OP meant by 'German design names' and took it to mean Gauss-type, etc.

But there are always those who will mistake precision of expression for snobbishness.

Cheers,

R.
    I think whoever raised the subject of german design names was referring to the online Leicaphile discussions where people argue endlessly over lens variants using the actual alphanumerical designations in place of their names. This might occur where people debate the merits of the two variants of non-asph 50 1.4 Summilux, which have different filter threads and are of different design (one might be the A1007 and the other the A1022. These are made up but this is what is meant by design model numbers I think. I have seen then used but cannot remember the format). when arguing over two lenses which are both 'summilux 50 1.4 (non asph)' they use the german design names. I cannot remember any examples but these German model numbers are chucked about on certain forums like another language. Maybe its like familiarising yourself with Klingon? Well worth the time....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Tom,

Ah, that makes more sense.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    While we're swapping snob stories, what I learned in school was that S.Nob was a French designation denoting a bought title, rather than an old inherited one. I've forgotten what the S was supposed to stand for.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    From Wikipedia:
    "sine nobilitate" "without a title to nobility"
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin