Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,118   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photographic Snobbery & Other Annoyances...

Please feel free to add to the list. I'll get things started:

- Referring to lenses as “glass”.

- Referring to film developing as “souping”.

- “Photography means nothing – it is life that interests me”, or something like that. With apologies to HCB, far and away my favorite photographer.

- The merits of shooting RAW v. JPEG. Digital, I know, but what is more boring than listening to such drivel?

- The merits of today’s FB v. RC papers. Seriously folks, does anyone actually think an RC print won’t archive as well, all else being equal?

- Closet-gearheads who profess that the equipment really doesn’t matter.

- On Photography, by Susan Sontag.

- No-name photogs who think anyone would possibly want to dish out hundreds or thousands of dollars their “limited edition” prints. Check any issue of B&W for a reference.

- The idea that photographs must "say something". PLEASE. Most of the photographs I love most say nothing to me. I just like looking at them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's the use of getting annoyed? The light is right at the moment so I'm going out to shoot...eh...sorry take some pictures

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hkr View Post

- Referring to lenses as “glass”.

- Referring to film developing as “souping”.
    The world is too filled with real outrages for me to find photographers using photographers' vernacular an issue.

- The merits of shooting RAW v. JPEG. Digital, I know, but what is more boring than listening to such drivel?
    As opposed to discussing the merits of staining v. non-staining developers?

- The merits of today’s FB v. RC papers. Seriously folks, does anyone actually think an RC print won’t archive as well, all else being equal?
    Wrong question. I don't (and can't) know that they will. And that's the point.

- The idea that photographs must "say something". PLEASE. Most of the photographs I love most say nothing to me. I just like looking at them.
    Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean it's not talking.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

- No-name photogs who think anyone would possibly want to dish out hundreds or thousands of dollars their “limited edition” prints. Check any issue of B&W for a reference.
    At one point in time, even St. Ansel qualified for this opprobium. Richard Avedon was once an unknown. I find this item insulting to the efforts of so many different folks here who are trying to build a career as an artist. Frankly, this sounds like just a bit of jealousy from someone who must have tried, but failed, to sell anything, and so resents those folks who are selling work for more than his failed to sell for.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Um...

Where's the snobbery in any of this?

Looking down your nose because someone else doesn't use your brand of expensive camera is snobbery.

Looking down your nose because you don't think expensive cameras are worth the money is reverse snobbery, and arguably even more tedious.

But from your list, outmoded slang and occasional delusions of grandeur are hardly worth getting excited about.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Please feel free to add to the list. I'll get things started: . . .

- On Photography, by Susan Sontag.
    Yes, indeed. I was compelled to read this in a college course. A book on photography without any photographs is immediately suspect. Living with a notorious photographer did not qualify Sontag as an expert on the subject. On Photography is proof that an otherwise successful author can write almost anything on any subject, and suckers will buy it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Everyone has a name, and if they can convince someone to part with 100K, more power to them.

As far as Sontag, the book is more about her failed relationship with Richard A then about 'photography.' It was her "Screw you Richard rant." The funny thing is years later she fell for another photographer. Go figure.

So, it really doesn't matter to me about the gear. This morning's walk with the dogs, I grabbed some glass just in case I needed to celebrate life, and later I plan to have my lab soup the film for me 'cause life's too short to worry about FB or RC when all I'm doing is enjoying the scene.

Someday I'll convince the world not to shoot Jpeg - RAW all the way baby.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Every field has it's special jargon and slang so it's not worth worrying about. Learn the words and use them or not depending on your own preference.

Many people have different opinions about what is important. I don't have to agree with everything that other people believe, but I've also learnt plenty by listening to others' opinions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    As far as Sontag, the book is more about her failed relationship with Richard A then about 'photography.' It was her "Screw you Richard rant." The funny thing is years later she fell for another photographer. Go figure.
    Hmm...I wonder what Annie L thinks of "On Photography."
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz View Post
    What's the use of getting annoyed? The light is right at the moment so I'm going out to shoot...eh...sorry take some pictures

Hans
    hans -

i think you mean
    burn some film 8D

hkr --

life's too short to be annoyed
    useless-link

--john

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin