Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,587   Online: 905

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Really?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    ...I think I agree that the act of manipulating an emotional response that may border on sentimentality is not fundamentally different to manipulating another sort of response. But we value the responses differently, and there are sometimes - can be - good reasons for that.

There's something about judging the responses of the 'sentimentalists' that I find sympathy with, but I also fear there is an amount of artistic snobbery involved aswell - on my own part as much as anyone else's.
    What are the reasons? Could they be shaped by your cultural environment.
    If the value we place on such art has in fact nothing to do with tangible aspects of the work itself, it might be useful to be aware of what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum View Post
    What are the reasons? Could they be shaped by your cultural environment.
    If the value we place on such art has in fact nothing to do with tangible aspects of the work itself, it might be useful to be aware of what.
    Our values and responses are, most definitely, shaped by our cultural environment.

I wouldn't say the value we place on such art has nothing to do with tangible aspects of the work itself - how can that be separated?

I think, speaking personally, what I am most wary of, or judgmental of, in Geddes' work above, is a sense of cliché. For example, I'm unsure about the contrast of the white skin and the black - I think the message is a little obvious. And yet is it any different from what Mapplethorpe did? Maybe they both courted cliché and just managed to escape it. Anyway I like pictures of skin, I like pictures of very new babies. I like these pictures, even though there is something that stops me rating them as highly as some others. But they are pleasant enough, and even beautiful, and evoke quite basic feelings of wonder at new life and the relationship of vulnerability and strength (if you're not too much of an old cynic like I am also, and I don't listen too much to that little voice talking in my ear!).

Either way, I've nothing against her for doing what she does, and for being so successful.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin