Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Really?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Newman from Calumet talking about the Silver Conference this year View Post
    Our focus on marketing this year was so that we could help photographers get their work out into the world to be seen, work in drawers and boxes is wasted work, there is personal satisfaction, but photography is for sharing.
    Wow, it's not enough that I can't just enjoy my photography, I have to share it too. All this waste. Well, I guess I should just give up photography all together then.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

crap

Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Regards, Art. (Crap, am I masturbating again?)
    was this right after they killed off almost every zone VI product that was useful??
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    everything's a waste if you're not making money off it to marketeers. they look through a narrow lens with a $ filter (cheesiest photography metaphor to date?). I have about 90 rolls of film in this years portfolio and i haven't taken a single one out of the house in the real world or the cyber world. the second your art hits the market, it looses all authenticity. That's when you compromise the integrity of the originality of the photo and the personalization of it to the marketplace to make a sale. Maybe Richard Newman should sell his children, as they're just a fiscal burden anyway (unless you can write them off on your taxes).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    "...the second your art hits the market, it looses all authenticity...
    As silly a generalization as Richard Newman's, in my opinion.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why does this thread make me think of Charles Jones....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles...hotographer%29
    Last edited by Bill Hahn; 05-04-2007 at 02:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixed link
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    why not is it a silly generalization? you might not lose ALL authenticity, but you will certainly lose partial-to-lots of it.

take this scenario for instance: if you were able to duplicate yourself into two photographers and have one photographer shoot exclusively non-market photos that just sit in a drawer where no one sees them or you start selling your photos, displaying them in cafes, galleries, etc, will they be exactly the same a year down the road? you might not totally sell out, but unless you can filter out everyone's comments or never look for "marketable" photographs in your photographic endeavours then you'll lose a piece of yourself in the work that you do and chose to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    why not is it a silly generalization? you might not lose ALL authenticity, but you will certainly lose partial-to-lots of it.

take this scenario for instance: if you were able to duplicate yourself into two photographers and have one photographer shoot exclusively non-market photos that just sit in a drawer where no one sees them or you start selling your photos, displaying them in cafes, galleries, etc, will they be exactly the same a year down the road? you might not totally sell out, but unless you can filter out everyone's comments or never look for "marketable" photographs in your photographic endeavours then you'll lose a piece of yourself in the work that you do and chose to do.
    I think I disagree with every single word. You start from the presumption that authentic art must be influenced by nothing external to the artist. I start with the premise that all art is a product of everything in the world that influences the artist.

By your definitions, even if I don't attempt to sell my art to anyone, but just let them see it and comment on it, I've become unauthentic.

Where is this line that divides what an artist can let in and what an artist must keep out. Consciousness can be wide open. The presumption that everyone will proccess external influences the same way, repeating what the market accepts and avoiding what it rejects may or may not be so but it also may or may not have anything to do with selling out. It may simply be a matter of refining one's delivery based on learning what works, in terms of sharing and communicating one's vision.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    everything's a waste if you're not making money off it to marketeers. they look through a narrow lens with a $ filter (cheesiest photography metaphor to date?). I have about 90 rolls of film in this years portfolio and i haven't taken a single one out of the house in the real world or the cyber world. the second your art hits the market, it looses all authenticity. That's when you compromise the integrity of the originality of the photo and the personalization of it to the marketplace to make a sale. Maybe Richard Newman should sell his children, as they're just a fiscal burden anyway (unless you can write them off on your taxes).
    Huh?

So the only true art is that which is never seen? That is the absurd conclusion one must draw from your comment.

Sellouts like da Vinci, Michaelangelo etc. were clearly unauthentic artists since they worked on commissions?

What a load of.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'I will pay you to make photographs of this subject...' loses the authenticity.

'I will buy one of your photographs' retains the authenticity.

Is that was the point Jordanstarr was making?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    'I will pay you to make photographs of this subject...' loses the authenticity.

'I will buy one of your photographs' retains the authenticity.

Is that was the point Jordanstarr was making?
    I won't speak for him but I took his point to be that there's very little distinction between the two.

I not only reject that but I also reject that an artist adjusting the work based upon the feedback loop provided by all sorts of cues, must inherently represent selling out.

Sometimes you just learn that more people pay attention to you when you speak clearly than when you mumble.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin