Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,023   Online: 1256

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...as far as the IRS is concerned, a photographer is an artist. And subject to the same restrictions -- no deducting "Art supplies" that don't generate significant income.

KB
    Artist
    OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED BY A BRANCH OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is Photography Art?
    Only in the hands of an artist.

Is it a Craft?
    Only in the hands of a craftsman.

It seems to me if you have to ask the question you're not working hard enough.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A photographer is an artist if they are an artist. Othwise, no.
    Pity the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake night after night wondering if there is a dog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not fair, I had a good post ready to go, and then my computer went beserk. I'll just sumarize it:

We do not know what we mean when we say art.

For some of us, it is a sentiment, much like faith. I do not understand faith, therefore I do not understand art. But isn't it true that sometimes we feel that something we see, or have done, is art? We cannot explain it, but its there.

Sometimes, we rationalize our ideals of art by considering how much devotion, craftsmanship, purpose, etc... has been put in a work before we can call it art or not. Needless to say, this is complete nonsense. All that matters is the image, not what came before, or during, the making of the image.

The easiest way out of this mess is to dismiss the term art altogether, and be content that we are photographers. Heck, maybe we're even pretty good at it.

But just to have fun, I'll attempt to define art, in a wonderfully dogmatic, probably false, paragraph:

Art is the result of other people's ignorance regarding our work. They do not understand it, and think it special, mabe even mythical. Seeing this reaction, we are flattered, and allow them to convince us that we are special, although we do not understand why (but neither do they, remember?). And so the term art is coined, and younger photographers (or what-have-you) seeing this, aspire to be artists themselves, in an even greater ignorance of the term. But by then it's too late, it's been defined in dictonaries as "the creation of beautiful and significant things" (onelook.com), even though we all can think of at least one ugly, and plenty of insignificant "works of art".

Does that do the trick?

[/i]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm a photographer (when I'm not earning a living)and I enjoy taking photographs of things that interest me, no matter how simple a subject. I enjoy even more the time spent in the darkroom and I feel that I have some degree of a skill (that I feel is improving since being away from the darkroom in 18 years) that not everybody can claim. Art? I'll leave that determination up to others to decide. I don't really concern myself with that aspect of it. I'm certainly not trying to create art when I take a photograph and produce a print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    so, the act of taking a camera, composing an image in the camera ground glass &C and pressing the shutter makes the the photographer an artist.

what if there is no film in the camera, and the image was taken and is in the head of the photographer, with no physical recording on film or paper - only the memory of the event.

is he still an artist, even though the final result is only for him/her and not for other people to enjoy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    what if there is no film in the camera, and the image was taken and is in the head of the photographer, with no physical recording on film or paper - only the memory of the event.

is he still an artist, even though the final result is only for him/her and not for other people to enjoy?
    Yep, do it all the time. Many times I'll go back to something with a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone interested in the definition of art may want to check out a book called "Art & Fear: observations On The Perils (And Rewards) of Artmaking", by David Bayles and Ted Orland. It's a good book. Does it define art? Not in any clear way. But it's worth it anyhow.

here's a little (well, not so little) quote from it:

"Recently a painter of some accomplishment (but as insecure as the rest of us) was discussing his previous night's dream over coffee. It was one of those vivd technicolor dreams, the kind that linger on in exact detail even after waking. In his dream he found himself at an art gallery, and when he walked inside and looked he found the walls hung with painting - amazing paintings, paintings of passionate intesity and haunting beauty. Recaunting his dream, the artist ended fervently with, 'I'd give anything to be able to make paintings like that!'
    'Wait a minute!' his friend exclaimed.'Don't you see? those were your paintings! They came from your own mind. Who else could have painted them?"

Substitute painter with photographer, etc...

So yeah, if you click without film, it's still art.

Or as much as the one with film would have been.

Unless it's performance art (as someone mentioned earlier)

Or a post-modernist statement

In which case the photographer ought to shut up, buy some film, and quit trying to be a fake non-conformist.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You guys have to complicate everything.
    Pity the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake night after night wondering if there is a dog.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Vapor trails. Art is the particle and I am the cloud chamber.

I have *no* idea of "what art is". As I've said, the ancient Greeks, who were marvelously adept in finding terms to describe all kinds of esoteric happenings, seem to have given up on this one. They coined a term that seems to "identify" art : "aesthetic" which basically means, "I don't know what it is, and as near as I can tell, no amount of reasoning is going to get me there either.

In a cloud chamber, we cannot "see" the particles - whatever they are called - mesons, pions, peons ... some are too short-lived for any hope of being seen ... but we have evidence that they are there by the effect they have in the surrounding atmosphere in the cloud chamber - they leave vapor trails.
    So it is with me. I can't consciously "see" art - but I know that it exists, by its effect - the "vapor trails" left on my "being".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin