Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,013   Online: 712

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Though I'd add a little fuel to the fire. Should a photographer be concidered an artist if he/she doesn't do their own printing? Why or Why not???

hi!

Depends. Is an architect who doesn't saw his own wood an artist? Some are some aren't. If all you do is hand over the film and ask somebody else to print it then it's different then somebody who asks a printer to produce the photographers vision.

Is a singer an artist if he/she doesn't write his/her own songs?
    - William Levitt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You have to look at that photographer's pictures in order to make the determination.

I don't think anyone can reasonably contend that Henri Cartier-Bresson is not an artist, yet he did not do his own printing.

I'm sure we can all name dozens of photographers who do make their own prints who don't qualify as artists by any stretch of the imagination.
    Jim

There is a long tradition in visual arts of the artist not making the final print. In lithography, and often with etchings, a printer is employed to make the print for the artist. This is because the printer has greater skill with the techniques needed to ensure a good print. This does not detract from either the work as being art, or the person who made the original image (on a plate or stone) as being an artist. Why should photography be any different than other forms of graphic expression in this respect?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The point about the photographer and the printer not being the same person is a good one. Some people like to do their own printing. Others have someone else do it. Each has advantages and disadvantages. You can print your picture as you wanted to see it - but you may not be objective. A person who prints for you (if he/she is good) can be more objective and may do a better job but may have a different idea about what is important. On the one hand it is a solo effort, and on the other it is a collaboration. Either way, art can be made sometimes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bump
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Bump
    What is this bump? I mean no disrespect but I don't get it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the idea is to bump the topic to the top of the "new responses" list and prompt more discussion.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce,
    Aggie's "bumping" the pages back to the "New posts since last visit page." By doing this she brings older posts to the attention of the newer purveyors of this site (and there are lots!) to try and jumpstart more discussion about these topics.

If I've got this wrong, just let me know.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin