Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,102   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Speaking of writing, my copy of Amateur Photographer was somewhat lacking on the back page this week. Is this a permanent change?

Steve.
    Dear Steve,

With the new editor (Damien) and the relaunch, my column has gone from weekly to once every four weeks.

As I said to Damien when he told me about this, I can see why he's done it (new look, new editor, changes...) but as it's MY column I obviously have other feelings as well.

I wondered if they had moved the IPC headquarters so that the inevitable uprising in protest -- waving scythes and billhooks, like the last act of a vampire movie -- would be outside the wrong building...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can hardly afford to collect, but yes, I do own more than one camera. I like options, I guess. I have 2 SLRs, a PEN half frame, and a 4x5. I'd like a 6x6 camera to fill the gap, plus a good 35mm rangefinder and I'll be happy. They all lend themselves to different applications, but the FM2n is my dearly beloved workhorse.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think a good reason for some of us collecting gear is that we don't work out what our ideal equipment is and save up for it then buy it.

Instead, we work our way up, buying various items on the way. For instance, I, like many, have progressed from 35mm up to medium format. I now have a Mamiya RB67 which I think is ideal for me and I don't see any need to change it. However, to get to that stage, I bought various other medium format cameras fairly cheaply such as 6x9 folders and a Rolleicord and then a Bronica ETRS system.

The logical thing to do would be to not buy all of the imtermediate cameras and save the money for the Mamiya - but I'm not particularly logical!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    As I have already got a half dozen cameras and about a dozen lenses in 35mm format, one set of a camera and a lens in 6x9cm, one 6x9cm enlarger with more than a few enlarging lenses covering these formats, and a good-sized wet darkroom with a useful sink, etc, I have no more desire to "collect" anything. I do keep using almost of all of them on a regular basis, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Collect? Wouldn't accumulate be a better word for what most of us do?

I ask because one of my neighbors, the notorious Charlie Barringer (Google him), is quite a serious collector who has "completeness" and similar collectorly reasons for most of his acquisitions. He sometimes gives me a hard time over my lack of an obvious -- to him -- rationale for many of my acquisitions.

My reasons for acquiring lenses: curiosity about what the thing is anyway; insurance (I need a spare X against the evil day when the X I use expires, the second one came at a very good price); ignorance (which of these high-touted macro lenses actually shoots well, anyway?); to have lenses that shoot well and that didn't cost very much; just because; and, oh yes, resale.

At the moment there are no significant gaps between focal lengths and all of lenses that might be better than the ones I use are priced too high. So I'm buying fewer lenses than I did a couple of years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ever noticed how the people who look down their noses at you when they discover you've several cameras (or several dozen, in my case...) and make the 'all a real photographer needs is a single camera' type comments usualy have a Lieca or Hasselblad slung round their necks that costs more than your entire camera collection, darkroom outfit, car and house combined?

:-)

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The logical thing to do would be to not buy all of the imtermediate cameras and save the money for the Mamiya - but I'm not particularly logical!
    Steve.
    Dear Steve,

Not just that. We also waste our money on 'bargains' of dubious usefulness -- and then can't afford the kit that would be best for us.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unlike my little single-chip mini-DV (movie) camera, which is more than 5 years old, the old (still) film cameras I have are still in pretty good conditions, and they can sit there for a long time even if I don't use them. But the video camera has to go soon because it's and literally falling apart and getting behind the time (as I want to use the HD system and I live the aspect ratio close to 35mm).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Ever noticed how the people who look down their noses at you when they discover you've several cameras (or several dozen, in my case...) and make the 'all a real photographer needs is a single camera' type comments usualy have a Lieca or Hasselblad slung round their necks that costs more than your entire camera collection, darkroom outfit, car and house combined?

:-)

Steve
    ...AS IF they could live with only one camera and lens! But they can't, and they go crazy all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger,

I agree with your comment about "bargains", resist them and more expensive items become surprisingly affordable.

Tom.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin