Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,741   Online: 1036

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Ever noticed how the people who look down their noses at you when they discover you've several cameras (or several dozen, in my case...) and make the 'all a real photographer needs is a single camera' type comments usualy have a Lieca or Hasselblad slung round their necks that costs more than your entire camera collection, darkroom outfit, car and house combined?

:-)

Steve
    Dear Steve,

Must be a bloody expensive Leica!

I bought my M4-P over 25 years ago and am still using it. Expensive when it was new, yes, but in terms of cost per year, something of a bargain.

And second-hand Leicas are not expensive at all. All right, half a grand for an M2 is quite a lot but it's still cheaper than a half-tolerable digi SLR.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An interesting thread! If we define collecting (as opposed to gear accumulation) as acquiring cameras for the pleasure they can give in themselves, why not? As long as we are clear it is a separate and distinct activity from photography, which requires fundamentally one camera and lens, collecting can be fun and need in no way be expensive. If you take an area like Kodak snapshot cameas of the 1960s, you could acquire a superb collection at £5 an item, say £50 for as much as your shelf can hold.

I personally have resisted the collecting bug as much as possible but have in my time amassed a number of Kodak Retinettes and also Kodak Retina Reflex gear, simply because these were the cameras I dreamed of as a small child. I have since tired a little of these and have cut down to one Retinette 1b, one Reflex III and 3 lenses, with no danger of bankruptcy at any time.

Similarly I have a strong recollection of standing in front of a photo dealer in my home town whose display window was full of Speed Graphics, since everyone was changing to Rolleiflexes (this was the mid-50s). I promised I would one day own a "real" camera" like this and now do - I worked my way through several examples until I have a mint 3x4 Speed Graphic and 4x5" Crown Graphic, both of which are also users and which I will probably never sell.

The motivation is of course emotional, as with art collecting, the rule must be buy what you like if you can afford it. These days, I would be surprised if the traditional blue chip investor cameras, Leicas, were holding their value as well as they used to - the generation which revered Leica above all other brands has moved on. All harmless fun, as long as you don't expect your photography to improve in line with the number of cameras you own!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just like the mechanical feel of a well made camera. Even the crunch and grind of the film advance of my fed 5 is entertaining to me. I tell people that the machining in the fed was done by the leningrad locomotive works. Then there's the robust simplicity of my Century Graphic, the quirkiness of my Pentacon sixTL, the butter smoothness of my rolleiflex, the engineering of my retina folders, the clunky functionality of my pre-anny speed graphic with the bag mags... you get the picture.. (pun intended)
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    This thread is meant for those of us who own more than one camera and aren't afraid to admit it.

As a teenager (a little over 25 years ago ) I remember becoming obsessed with photography. From shooting pictures to developing my TriX ..., I was hooked. I remember reading about all those "fabulous" 35mm cameras in magazines. Maybe it was the workmanship of the equipment, the marketing, the prohibitive high cost of buying anything (especially Nikon, Zeiss, or Leica stuff) that drew my attention.
    Well, I've got about 10 years on you, but I'm in much the same boat. I've always had an adequate camera and was able to take the pictures. I was even a "pro" and did weddings in college.

But now, I'm older and have more disposable income and I buy what I want to. I don't think I go overboard, though. No vintage "whatevers" strictly for the snob appeal. But I did have to buy a 6 ft high cabinet to keep them all in. I know how many cameras I have, but I would have to go count the lenses. I mean, who knows?

Oh, well ... :rolleyes:

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think I've passed GAS (heh heh) - the other day my wife brought home a camera that someone where she works wanted to sell. At first I thought "Neat, but she won't go for it", then after about a minute I thought "I don't really want another camera...". The realization that I had passed that stage in my photographic development was quite surprising at first, but then became a warm understanding that I really am happy with what I have. I keep some special cameras, and those that I inherited from family, but I've sold off a lot of stuff that I just had around, and I'm happier for it.

I did just pick up a new camera, but it was because I wanted to upgrade what I was using, and once I am certain that I am happy with it, I'll be selling the cameras (note the use of plural here) that it (singular) will be replacing. What cameras I have kept are either for display, or are users. It's funny really, because for the longest time I collected a bunch of stuff - now it's down to books and View-Master reels and viewers, both of which are life-long interests, just like photography, but the use of cameras is what I really enjoy. Now that I have cameras that I really enjoy using, I no longer feel the need to collect more. I do, however, still enjoy *looking* at cameras, but I no longer feel the need to buy them. I love history, and I love handling things from the past, but I am much more selective in what I collect...

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a fairly small collection - 2 x 35mm pentax SLRs, 2 x 35mm soviet rangefinders, 1 x TLR, 1 x 6x6 SLR, 1 x 645 RF, 1 x 6x9 box camera and a couple of compacts.

I use all of them fairly regularly. My wife and some of my friends don't really understand why you'd have more than one, but mine are all cheap, my total spending on all my stuff including lenses is less than the cost of a cheap dSLR with kit lens, and I get pleasure out of using them.

I did, however, have more at one time, and have been steadily selling off the stuff I don't use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a lot of gear (as my signature attests), but I enjoy gear. I really don't care if others think it's ridiculous or not.

Cameras are fun and interesting. They each have a personality. Each is better at something than the others is. I also shoot differently with different gear. Even with 35mm, I take much different pictures with a Nikon F5 than I do with an F3HP.

I'm trying not to accumulate so many cameras now (and actually sold four quite recently) but the reality is that few of these cameras are worth much and thus they are worth keeping. There are some lenses I would still like to get (and probably will) but my 35mm system is nearly where I want it. My 4x5 system still needs a lot of work but I want to learn more about what I want before I invest a lot of money into it.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my gear I obtained new and I have a habit of not selling off older or even obsolete equipment so I have still have all of Pentex 35 and lens from the 60s and early 70s, my Retina C and lens, Graphilc 4X5, ect. I did buy lens to add to my Pentex system as user equipment, but not for the sake of collecting. Then last year for some reason that excapes me (other than being affordable) I started to collect Miranda 35mm. Although Mirandas have a few nifty features the reason I collect them is that I just like puttering about them them. I do not use them for any serious work, just toys.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Collecting", in my case would be the wrong word!. People are always giving "These old things" to us. I don't have the heart to throw them away. It is fun sometimes to pick one up and test it out but for the most part they collect dust. Working gear is a different story. It has been an evalution of need or want for a different viewpoint and feel for different situations. Every camera has a different "vibe" as does lighting equipment. The tools are what they are, "tools". Inherant variations for the exacution of photographic thought. I have no guilt about having a nice variety of tools.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is no such thing as a perfect camera, but the perfect camera for the right assignment.

Beside I am addict to cameras.

You all have a nice day.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin