Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,002   Online: 998

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The social relationship to the lab itself also matters to me. At the best lab
    I ever worked with (now bankrupt), the employees wanted my photos to turn
    out nice every bit as much as I did, and seemed to take as much pride in them as me. I really appreciated the feeling of teamwork.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Jim Horning

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess I'm fortunate in that we have two local shops that sell and process film. One of them has a strong reputation for being rude, and after the 4 second chance I gave up on them too, but the other is a family run shop who all know me when I stop in. They know I like my E-6 roll film sleeved and they always offer to get me anything that I need if they don't have it in stock. I always chat a bit when I drop off and then again when I pick up and I can say that if they ever went under, I would truly miss the experience.

I've never met any other photographers in there, but I'm certain that they do stop in because I've seen large film orders waiting for pickup many times. I think the social isolation has as much to do with the fast pace of our society as it does with the introduction of non-film photography, although local shops are certainly an indicator of the demise of social interaction. There just isn't time to sit around and chat with your neighbors these days. Hell, I can't even find a real hardware store anymore (and no, Lowes and Home Despot are NOT hardware stores) and that was the social hub of the small town where I grew up...

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had an experience like this the other day. Coming from Toronto, Nanaimo with it's 80k-ish population can seem excrutiatingly small sometimes (although that can be quite nice). When I first moved here a little over a year ago there was one lab that still did top-quality film work. B&W, E-6, C-41, for formats up to 4x5. Not longer after they stopped doing wet processing, and that kind of hurt. London Drugs does a decent enough job, but I've been waiting for 3+ weeks to get 3 rolls of Ilford Delta back. So I recently made a major recommitment to Analog, not just shooting but back to my own processing. My dslr is up on ebay, and I am waiting for a 4x5. I gave this lab a call to see if they had any equipment they would be willing to sell me, and I went down yesterday to take a lok at an Omega 4x5 enlarger that they used for years. The man, Glen, was great to talk to, really knew his stuff. My safelight bulb went kaput a few months ago, and I couldn't find one. Turns out Glen has a wack of them, and gave me one saying I can pay him for it when I come to get the enlarger. To his credit, he still stocks a few chemicals, film and assorted others. It would be terrific to find that more often.

- Justin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have any of you ever read the science fiction short story "The Machine Stops"? Written a long, long time ago (I don't remember the author's name or exact date of publication. What an irony -- you can probably google it!). It describes a world in which there is nothing new written; just critiques of critiques of critiques, etc. People prefer their internet type connection to everyone else and it is actually bad manners to want to see someone in person. It is pretty scary how it mirrors where we are headed -- a high tech world that nobody can fix because all the real people are gone.

Anyway, I was just in my favorite camera shop last weekend. I usually get most of my chemicals there, even though an internet order to B&H is easier, because I hope in my little way that I am helping them keep their doors open and it is nice to talk photography.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine_Stops

I'll have to go home and read that tonight... I have the 'Best' volume that it appears in - thanks for the tip.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I googled it. Lots of critiques of critiques of critiques of the original story. Hmmmmnnn! It was originally written by E.M. Forster in 1909. I read it in an anthology book when I was a kid and the book was already 10 years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although electrons have made us one in many ways, like on the internet, it really has divided us up and isolated us, hasn't it?

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Although electrons have made us one in many ways, like on the internet, it really has divided us up and isolated us, hasn't it?

Regards, Art.
    I understand this point of view. The other side of the coin is that without these electrons, I'd have almost no access to the knowledge, creativity and comradary that this access to a community of other photographers gives me.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post

Regards, Art.

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I understand this point of view. The other side of the coin is that without these electrons, I'd have almost no access to the knowledge, creativity and comradary that this access to a community of other photographers gives me.
    I'm with Michael on this one. It's the same thought I tried to convey with my earlier post in the thread.

It's unfortunate, perhaps, that the "corner camera store comraderie" is a thing of the past. But the Web has enlarged our world tremendously. APUG is a much larger and more diverse resource than any local camera store could ever hope to be.

I agree that the lack of "in the flesh" meeting leaves something to be desired - but the Web is young and technology will move us in interesting directions. Besides, there is no alternative - sites like this are not "the future", they are our "present time". It's never going to be like it was - but this alternative isn't so bad after all.
    Last edited by copake_ham; 04-26-2007 at 06:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Worthen View Post
    . . . It describes a world in which there is nothing new written; just critiques of critiques of critiques, etc.
    Ah, yes! That reminds me of graduate school, and what we had to read. Occasionally on APUG someone says, "I read somewhere . . ." However, original experience seems to be the basis of most information here. Universities should be so smart.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin