Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,072   Posts: 1,611,924   Online: 1227

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Universities should be so smart.
    Hope springs eternal...

- R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post

I agree that the lack of "in the flesh" meeting leaves something to be desired - but the Web is young and technology will move us in interesting directions. Besides, there is no alternative - sites like this are not "the future", they are our "present time". It's never going to be like it was - but this alternative isn't so bad after all.
    I just had a vision of all the posts here being delivered by video instead of the written word. Scary or what?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    I just had a vision of all the posts here being delivered by video instead of the written word. Scary or what?

I better put on some pants.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    The whole aspect you're looking for in person is still alive. It was hard to get into my photo class at school because of the sheer amount of applicants. There are still people who enjoy the social atmosphere of the darkroom and studio, it's just rare to find them now. However if you were to come to my town, you'd find a bunch of film photographers.
    By the sea is where I'll make my living.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get that at a camera shop I've been going to recently. I found them after buying a TLR from their booth at a photo fair at the beginning of May. Since then I've bought two more TLRs from them and get all my film developed through them.

If you do digital here in Japan you don't need to talk to anyone- just plug your memory card into the appropriate slot on these big machines and push some buttons, then the photos come out at the bottom.

I always go in to drop off/pick up film but end up spending at least half an hour in there just shooting the breeze. The old guys seem to appreciate someone my age being into TLRs so much.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Totally unbiased praise for APUG

I used to go to my local camera club a lot and I count some of the people I have met there among my best friends. But, with four kids, my spare time is not what it used to be...

APUG has given me the opportunity to meet other film photographers here in Oslo, and the exchanges that run gives me the pleasure of getting a personal print or postcard from others around the world. And I enjoy the possibility of sending (showing) my work to others.

So, if anyone happens to go by Oslo, give a shout and hopefully we could grab a beer, talk about photography and combine the digital and analog world.

Regards

Birger A.

Yes, Im very glad that I found APUG .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Birger,

That's what I LOVE about APUG! In the limited travelling I have done I have had the opportunity to meet some very nice APUGGERS. If I were to go to Norway I would definitely let you know. And that goes for any apug people that come and visit Vancouver Island. I love showing other apuggers the beauty of my island!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I share the nostalgic feelings. I have always developed my own work (I own a studio). However, I fondly remember the old now closed local camera store. Near the front window they had an old Dr. Pepper soda machine. The type that you opened the lid on top and slid out your choice thru a maze of slots. I used to park in back in the alley (no parking meter there), enter thru the back of the store where they had their warehouse, pick up my paper and chemicals on the way to the front..stop at the refrigerator for my 8x10 Ektachrome. Get to the front, get a soda, and chat with the owners, or any photographer that used to be hanging out. Ah, those were the days. Now I have to get all my supplies by mail order. The only local photo store is almost pure digital and dull. At the old store, if you regularly used a certain item, they would stock it for you. Not now at the current photo store...no way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One of the local lab-shop owner is thinking in installing a short of small café at the back of the shop, just to allow our small community to gather there and chat.

I'm looking forward to see it done.

Cheers,
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goros View Post
    One of the local lab-shop owner is thinking in installing a short of small café at the back of the shop, just to allow our small community to gather there and chat.
    In London, we have Aperture which is a combined vintage camera shop and café.

http://www.apertureuk.com/about.htm

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin