Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,092   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got "the wall of travel" on my staircase, showing photos I've taken in various places I've been over the years. Some of my male nudes hang in the house as well. I've got three photos by a photographer friend of mine from Australia, Garrie Maguire, a Jorge Gasteazoro, an anonymous 1850s Albumen print of the Doge's Palace in Venice, and several other prints from folks here and from other places waiting to be framed. I've also got some non-photographic art up - a 1920's print of Maxfield Parrish's "Daybreak", a vintage 1800's engraving of an Indonesian prince, a pencil sketch of the cathedral in Sienna, a scroll painting from the 1988 World Festival of Youth and Students a friend of mine brought me back from North Korea, and an 1827 (I think that's the correct date) chinese Imperial proclamation on yellow silk.

Oh, and then there's the lesbian rhinos in the basement laundry room. Did you know that rhinoceroses are extremely easy to breed in captivity, to the point that if not on birth control, and in gender-segregated housing, there would be an overpopulation problem in every zoo in the country that has them? As a result, they keep them gender segregated and they put the females on hormone treatments to suppress the heat cycle, so it doesn't get the neighboring males excited. The consequence of it is that when one of the females on hormone treatments goes into heat, she starts acting like a dominant male instead of her normal behavior, and so she mounts the other female rhinos.
    Last edited by TheFlyingCamera; 04-27-2007 at 08:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since my wife is a pastel artist, we sort of compete for the wall space in our home. "Sort of" because she is in charge of home decorating, and so she chooses which of my work to show. Presently I have 2 24x30 prints over our couch and an 11x14 in the hallway.
    When I closed my studio last December, I brought home all the portrait "samples" that were on the walls and hung 3 of them in my darkroom; 2 11x14's and a 20x24.
    We both have much more work to exhibit than we have wall space.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Three photographs by me.
    One photograph by a friend.
    One painting by my brother.
    One painting and two woodcuts by another friend.
    Four screen prints by another friend.
    A navajo rug purchased on our honeymoon.
    A platinum, pinhole photograph that was a wedding present.
    A framed poster of Matisse's 1001 Nights.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In the séjour alone, 18 of my wife's photographs, 20 of mine (some are collaborations), 7 by other photographers (including Chris Nisperos and a 20x24 inch Polaroid portrait of my wife and myself), four non-photographic artworks. In the hall, two of hers, three of mine, one by another photographer (a portrait of her mother and aunt aged about 12 and 7, seven other pieces of non-photographic artwork. We hang pictures the way the Victorians used to -- thickly!

Cheers,

R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZF 11 -- Sejour.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Since my wife is a pastel artist, we sort of compete for the wall space in our home. "Sort of" because she is in charge of home decorating, and so she chooses which of my work to show. ... We both have much more work to exhibit than we have wall space.
    My wife is an illustrator, but she would rather hang my photos or anyone else's work in any media than her own stuff. We have all of her serious paintings and drawings in storage. :o

Presently framing and re-hanging, if you will. Prints by me, but also by Les McLean, Matt Magruder, Lee Carmichael, and trying to acquire some others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both at home and at my office I have only my own photos displayed. They are rotated with new photos when I get a chance to print. Subject matter varies. Most of them are printed on 11x14 inch paper and matted/framed to 16x20 inches.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A good number of my own shots, all from places that we've traveled at some point, three paintings, and a hand-pulled print from an etching.

- Randy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Within my home resides "The Center for Contemplative Photography", a small, private one-room gallery with a porcelain seat. Ansel Adams and I have an ongoing two-person show there, which I have the opportunity to visit several times a day...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    In the séjour alone, 18 of my wife's photographs, 20 of mine (some are collaborations), 7 by other photographers (including Chris Nisperos and a 20x24 inch Polaroid portrait of my wife and myself), four non-photographic artworks. In the hall, two of hers, three of mine, one by another photographer (a portrait of her mother and aunt aged about 12 and 7, seven other pieces of non-photographic artwork. We hang pictures the way the Victorians used to -- thickly!

Cheers,

R.
    I think I see a ghost in front of the fireplace. :o

Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My own prints are cheaper than other people's! I have moved into a new house that has a large amount of wall (compared to what I am used to!) because of the design of the house. As I have rented before and been reluctant to bang hooks in everywhere and had young kids that liked throwing picture wrecking toys about, this is the first time I have had my own prints on my own wall! They are in the homes of relatives and those who have bought them, but never my own. I cannot describe the pleasure of hanging 7 framed images in one room (the first one we had managed to clear of the house moving clutter). I am going to loosely theme rooms, taking into account the ambience. Here's what I am going to do (My missus has not objected)

Front spare room (Heavy serious images that might not work in more relaxed space...most angry images of N. Wales fall into this category). This will be a quiet (get away from kids) room as it is downstairs away from main rooms and living space (weird house design). Its where the 7 hang now.

Living room (Lighter, airier images printed big to reduce the business of lots of small images). Use of tone to prevent the room becoming too monochromatic.

Up stairs and upstairs landing (100% family). This is the greatest amount of wall space.

Dining room - Thinky images. Afghanistan for now (well when I print them that is). Would like to be able to rotate images so will go for std frame sizes and rotate portfolio images as I print them.

Bedroom - Not figured it out yet. Probably Family images too, assuming we put some photos rather than other work up.

When the house move has ceased bleeding us, I will start looking at buying prints and possibly doing some exchanges with APUG members (assuming anyone wants any of mine!).

Planning incessently gets me thru 3 months of work overseas before holidays. I do my own framing so its quite fun to think thru to the final framed image and visualise it on the wall. I dont know how I will find the time as I have about 30 images to print and frame and my darkroom is far from properly set up. Can't wait to make s start on new images after 18+ months without printing properly!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin