Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,370   Online: 983

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What pictures hang on your wall?

I'm sure that there are many commercial photographers here, some full time, some part time (myself included) who shoot for a client in one way or another. Given an assignment (be it wedding, journalism, portraiture, still life, aireal, scientific, etc), we have a clear objective as far as what our images are supposed to look like. In other words, we are hired to produce an image for a client, an image that is for the most part a vision that the client had in mind when he or she hired us. They liked what they saw when they decided to hire us and expected similar results with their projects.

Other than my ever-changing portfolio, I rarely print anything for myself. I have two photographs hanging on the walls of my home; they are of my two daughters. Recently I began to think about the negatives and images I have and realized that 95% are of clients, 4% pictures of my kids, 1% of subjects I found intriguing.

Shooting for clients is good, it pays the bills, but what about those creative visions that existed in our minds when we began photography many years ago? I asked myself when was the last time I printed any images (not just the family pics) to hang on one of my own walls in my home? Yes, I keep an archive of my images, but I rarely print anything for personal display.

So, this lead me to yet another one of my crazy ideas and decided to start a new project. In my personal office I only have one picture frame. It is a black 16"x20" matted frame that holds an 11"x14" image. I have decided to shoot a new image every week and replace the 11"x14" image every week. I want to do this to keep my personal visions alive. Not to mention I think it's also a great challenge to produce one frameable image per week in black and white. Instead of just having thousands of wedding pictures to look at, I would like for my kids to look at my images some day and have a glimpse of how I viewed the world.

What pictures hang on your wall?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stairway to the second floor are portraits of my son and and the three of us. In the living room I have four bw 8x10 photographs taken in the late '70s that I just put up. Two are plants, cactus and agave and one is a church door and the other is a stucco wall with a window opening in it. These are from the Southwest. I like to show some older work that I haven't seen in a while.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two 24"x36" prints in my living room: the sun rising through the mist over one of the Finger Lakes with specular reflection of the sun; a reflection of a tree with ripples from an artisan well and raindrops with fall colored leaves spread over the surface.

In addition to oil paintings, in the rest of my place I have 11"x14"s and 12"x18s of my girls growing up, college graduation, available light photos of Washington DC, waterfalls and fall colors, Haleakala at sunrise, two row boats tied up under a tree, and many others. My problem is that I have to rotate the photos regularly because I want to save my wall space for more photos in the future.

Since I have not shown APUG any of my work [other than my avatar], I have included two photos.

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 12-12-2007 at 10:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of Alex Hawley's prints and two Fred Picker prints in an upstairs guest bedroom.

Alex's print is the best of the trio.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    an ecclectic collection of personal work ( both abstract and documentary )
    friends photographs, family photos,
    "vintage" family photos (portraits from 40s, 30s, and pre ww1 )
    an old framed maps of the 17th C pilgramage routes to san diego de compostela,
    1950s tourist snapshots of paris,
    and storebought chic

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    While I have some of my own prints, the ones I treasure the most are the ones given me by friends. On my wall, at the moment are prints from John Callow and John McCallum.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one photo hanging on my wall, and it is a photo taken out of the window that is opposite of that wall that the photo is hanging from.

http://www.kpraslowicz.com/photo/my-brick-heaven/ is what it looks like, and i'm sure I'll keep hanging ot on the wall of my next bedroom, which happens to have a stellar landscape view.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Edward Weston
    Brett Weston
    Cole Weston
    Kim Weston
    Ansel Adams
    Dick Garrod
    Bob Kolbrener

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Photohistorian I have other peoples photos hanging on my wall.

3x John Blakemore
    Fay Godwin
    Peter Cattrell
    Robert Doisneau
    Jorge Gasteazoro

plus a few by lesser known photographers.

Ian

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Four of my own shots hang on my walls and now I think about it they are as untypical of everything else I produce as you could get. Normally, my material is of industrial archaeology in some shape or form, but the framed wall photos are three of musicians (Acker Bilk, Katrina Leskanich and John Miller) and one of the view out of my bedroom window at 01.00 am late last year showing a flash of forked lightning over Roborough Down.

Perhaps it's because they're different to my usual output that I felt inclined to frame them.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin