Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,533   Posts: 1,598,707   Online: 943

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    can someone explain how microsoft could be exploiting anyone when they clearly state that entries will become their property?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because the people who submit probably won't be reading the fine print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Then that's their own fault. Maybe this is a cultural thing, but I consider it my responsibilty to read any agreement before making a comittment, not someone else's.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know anything about the photo submission to Microsoft, but I have seen the same regulation/agreement/contract/policy in photo contests in many places, and I'm not terribly shocked by it. Last year I found the Japanese edition of National Geographic running the same sh-t, and the contest juries were not necessarily the ones specilized in the kind of photos that the magazine provides. So, it seemed just a lot of BS to me.

You don't want your work to be judged and/or presented by complete strangers who are only interested in taking away your rights and stealing your work...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb View Post
    Then that's their own fault. Maybe this is a cultural thing, but I consider it my responsibilty to read any agreement before making a comittment, not someone else's.
    Hey! Get with the 21st century. There's no such thing as personal responsibility any more. My lawyer says it's always someone else's fault. Sheesh! That kind of philosophy won't get you anywhere today.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Honestly, this is the way I see this if I were a snotty high school kid. I could submit my image with the once in a lifetime possibility of have it seen by bajillions worldwide backed by one of the largest brand name corporations and brag about it to no end, or I could talk about the ethics of it all in a thread like this when I get old and cranky and nothing to show for it.

Easy choice.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    good one Art
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Honestly, this is the way I see this if I were a snotty high school kid. I could submit my image with the once in a lifetime possibility of have it seen by bajillions worldwide backed by one of the largest brand name corporations and brag about it to no end, or I could talk about the ethics of it all in a thread like this when I get old and cranky and nothing to show for it.

Easy choice.

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So who's doing the exploiting in this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't like the content of the fine print, don't enter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb View Post
    can someone explain how microsoft could be exploiting anyone when they clearly state that entries will become their property?
    It's exploitation in the sense that M$ is granting themselves a wide usage license for no compensation. By "property" they are referring to the actual entries, a file or physical print, which they aren't going to send back to you. Yes, you have to agree to it, but that doesn't make it less exploitative. M$ is still using its economic power to take other people's assets at little or no cost to itself; that's what exploitation means "unfairly or unjustly using another person or group for profit or advantage," as Merriam-Webster puts it. There's nothing the least bit fair about the arrangement. M$ is hardly alone in this; there's a whole world of scams out there for aspiring artists and writers desperate for publication or recognition. Taking advantage of another person's weakness like that might be legal, might be acceptable under the rules of commerce, but it's still a skanky thing to do. So we will call it what it is.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin