Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,648   Posts: 1,623,440   Online: 1052

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Honestly, this is the way I see this if I were a snotty high school kid. I could submit my image with the once in a lifetime possibility of have it seen by bajillions worldwide backed by one of the largest brand name corporations and brag about it to no end, or I could talk about the ethics of it all in a thread like this when I get old and cranky and nothing to show for it.

Easy choice.

Regards, Art.
    From the OP quote it would seem that you don't have to be the winner/s to hand over control of your image - you just have to enter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    From the OP quote it would seem that you don't have to be the winner/s to hand over control of your image - you just have to enter.
    Does that make a difference?

Regards, Art. (Drats! Keep breaking my own rule not to speak up in these threads ... dang!)
    Last edited by gr82bart; 05-08-2007 at 09:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Cut back a lot of the text - not worth it
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It just means the bargain isn't to get world-wide fame.

If the original quote is correct, it's unnecessary, and it's bad practice. Big rich guys ripping off aspiring youngsters - who are the most at risk of being ripped off.

Quite simple really. Not good.

Anyway, who's calling who 'old and cranky'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LMAO "Ripping Off" kids. LOL That was too funny.

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    It's exploitation in the sense that M$ is
    I make my living working with and writing software for Microsoft systems. I find your reference to Microsoft as "M$" offensive.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I make my living working with and writing software for Microsoft systems. I find your reference to Microsoft as "M$" offensive.
    Hey man - how do I get a job working for Microsoft in Hawaii? I'm a software developer in N.E. with 15 years experience.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing that makes this contest deceptive is that MS states in the FAQ that all rights remain with the photographer unless they WIN, but the rules state that all rights are assigned to MS no matter if you win or not.

Many contests DO require you to give up all rights when you submit, but they don't put out conflicting information as MS has here.

You cannot tell me MS's lawyers didn't look at every single word of that webpage before it was posted.

It is deceptive no matter how you look at it and if you accept that as no big deal or OK for regular business practices, then please put me on your ignore list and let me know; I'll do the same for you.
    Last edited by Kino; 05-08-2007 at 06:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb View Post
    can someone explain how microsoft could be exploiting anyone when they clearly state that entries will become their property?
    because some poor college kid will submit an amazing image, not win the prize, and MS will use it for the next desktop background in WINDOWS SUPER DUPER OS 2014

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    You are aware your employer also owns Corbis images? It's alright to hate them. I do and I feel alright about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas View Post
    because some poor college kid will submit an amazing image, not win the prize, and MS will use it for the next desktop background in WINDOWS SUPER DUPER OS 2014
    And that kid will brag about it to no end. It may even inspire him/her to take more amazing pictures. Maybe even become the next great photographer. Who knows. I sure hope so, 'cause this thread isn't going to inspire anyone.

PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. A kid submitting to Microsoft knows full well that his/her image maybe be used like spilled beer on a cute coed's t-shirt. Ummm ... that's why they're submitting it in the first place. They want Microsoft to use it. That's the point.

Anyway, maybe I don't get it. The OP says Microsoft is exploiting the kids, so do others. How? Really. So far, no convincing posts.

Regards, Art. (Oiy)
    Last edited by gr82bart; 05-08-2007 at 01:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin