Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,458   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Explotation - Microsoft Student Photographer contest

I know thousands and thousands of unsuspecting students will basically give their images to Microsoft and recieve nothing in compensation. A pretty good deal for Microsoft, only costs them $20,000 (the grand prize)

“All Entries become the property of Sponsor and Administrators and will not be returned.

By submitting your Entry, you grant Sponsor and Administrators an irrevocable royalty-free, worldwide right, in all media (now known or later developed) to use, publish, alter or otherwise exploit your Entry.

You hereby forever release the Sponsor and Administrators from any and all claims you might have in connection with their use and exhibit of your Entry as set forth above. You also agree to sign any necessary documentation to effectuate that license and release.

If you do not want to grant Sponsor and Administrators the foregoing, please do not enter the Contest.”

http://prophoto.microsoft.avitivacor...ial_rules.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That is more common than you would imagine. In this case, I think that Microsoft is trying to raise awareness of digital photography, rather than trying to get images for itself. Of course, they might actually come up with a worthwhile image or twof or their troubles.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the CORE of their philosophy, to own and license images. What was done with software will be done with art, photography and images of every kind. It's the future of control of the individual right of ownership. What was yours, dreamed by you, made by you, is now mine; but you can use it one time for a fee. The future is going to be: How do you keep control of your own creations in the present of corporate predatory feeding.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    isnt microsoft the one starting that huge stock photography site?
    This would give microsoft full rights to make profits off of a submission you are likely to make 0$ from.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    That is more common than you would imagine. In this case, I think that Microsoft is trying to raise awareness of digital photography, rather than trying to get images for itself. Of course, they might actually come up with a worthwhile image or twof or their troubles.
    When did microsoft start caring about 'raising awareness' about anything?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well said, Curt!! Couldn't agree more. I do agree that it's a common practice elsewhere, though. Even with the more 'reputable' competitions - the 'donors' (corporate body) get to write off the sums given out - which, in fact, is the very same money which is collectively known as the 'entry fee'. So- in fact, it can be seen as a 'reputable' form of lottery - where the organization putting it on doesn't really need to lay out a dime to pull it off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its called "crowdsourcing".

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It makes me angry - it's more likely to be students who are misused by this sort of thing because they are eager to get their photos 'out there'.

No 'competition' worth entering assumes copyright from those who submit entries, apart from the right to use winning images to publicise the event itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet the entries will end up in a place like this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx

Royalty-free photo library has killed many photographers. This is NOT like free software developers killed professional software engineers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They appear to be somewhat confused. In the FAQ section they state:
    Does Microsoft own the rights to images submitted to the contest?

As an entrant, you retain the copyright ownership of the images you submit. Submitting an entry does not assign or transfer any ownership or copyrights to Microsoft; those rights remain with the creator of the original work. However as a condition of accepting a prize, you agree to grant Microsoft the right to reproduce and display the image, credited with your first and last name, in print and on the web, for the purposes of promoting this contest.
    Which is more in line, but until/unless they change the official rules, I guess their original rights-grab remains in force. So that's another slap in the face for MS's reputation then (as if that ever bothered them)...

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin