Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,712   Online: 802

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why an artist's statement anyway?
    Over here generations of artists were creative without it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I agree with Curt. If it was me I would be happy to ask someone to look at a draft and make suggestions, but not for them to re-write it, or write it from scratch.

I know that youngsters applying to Uni are hiring people to write their personal statements. Probably people do it when they go for jobs.

I have to think - if everyone is hiring someone to write these statements - I'm not sure what is the point.

The very act of trying to get it right can clarify your own ideas, as can talking with other people. I would say thrash ideas out, by all means, let someone suggest an edit, but let the words be your own.

I don't think they have to be long - just to sum up your approach and what you're trying to do. I can't help thinking if you were to hire a professional writer you'd run the risk of ending up with something that looked, more than anything else, like it had been written by a pro, and not by you. But you'd feel bound to use it because it sounded good and you'd paid for it - but if it's significantly unlike you when people meet you in person, they will know. You have to be able to articulate your ideas - writing them down is a good start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why would it matter who wrote it? When you do your own writing - it's a matter of selecting from among a variety of possibilities - and thus so it is with your choosing (editing) someone else's writing. If you edit it enough times - it will be truly yours anyhow. As to where the tipping point is.. who knows?

I think Cate and Curt have a point, definitely - but I also think you shouldn't underestimate the ability of someone else examining your work through fresh eyes.... a little back and forth might be the best balance - just to get you going somewhere.
    Last edited by Sparky; 05-09-2007 at 04:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I expect purity.

And thus the artist himself. And being faced with a sculpturer or photographer I don’t expect a writer. (these drawers…)
    If you feel insecure about it, leave it. See my post above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ahhhh... die Deutschen...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sparky, I guess this trend will come over here. Or has come already. Don't know. The art world is becoming very international even for young artist and a main kind of approach to/dealing with an artist is going to be established.

Just ran into old Peter Paul Rubens in Antwerp. An international guy, you know. Had it about this statement thing. He laughed.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Though, he has got a somewhat other view on purity....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Why an artist's statement anyway?
    Over here generations of artists were creative without it.
    Artist statements are a fact of life for professionals today - there is very little that can be done about it!

As to who writes them - the important thing is that the statement is truthful about the work and gives the impression that the artist has something to say and is confident about saying it (in certain cases, sadly, it is also necessary to write in "artspeak"). Who actually writes it is completely irrelevant.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Who actually writes it is completely irrelevant.

Regards,

David
    Not to everybody - I have a friend who is a College lecturer who says his heart sinks when he sees an application from a student where the statement is obviously written by someone else (it's happening more and more).

If you're going for showing your work in a gallery or something similar, that might be a bit different. I would have thought it would depend on the attitude of the gallery owner. As with everything, depends on your 'market'.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    Not to everybody - I have a friend who is a College lecturer who says his heart sinks when he sees an application from a student where the statement is obviously written by someone else (it's happening more and more).

If you're going for showing your work in a gallery or something similar, that might be a bit different. I would have thought it would depend on the attitude of the gallery owner. As with everything, depends on your 'market'.
    It does of course matter if the purpose of the statement is to prove that its subject can write or express him/herself verbally. As you say, this will vary from case to case.

Regards,

David

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin