Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,413   Online: 682

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brilliant.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are...

Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    My work consolidates the ethereal microcosm of human existence within the austere tangibility of our beastial ancestry. Our mammalian backgroung predisposes the conciousness to certain avenues of behavioural mannerisms whilst the risen intellect defines our humanity. The tenacious ambivalence posed by our animal ancestry in conflict with our logical aspirations is the epicenter of my piece, "Boobies."

- Justin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    Heres a link to John Paul Caponigro's site. Lots of interviews with photographers which some of you might like to read. Just found it today but it might be old to many of you!

http://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/lib/artists/sexton.php
    THANK YOU, Tom!! This is a **very interesting site** - mainly for Caponigro's Interviews with well-respected photographers.

I've just wrecked my schedule for today, due to fascination with interviews of Barbara Bordnick (I agree with her approach and philosophies about nudes); Joyce Tenneson (LONG-TIME fan); and with Richard M. Benson.

Benson has articulated an answer to the legion of critics here who will CRUSH any photographer who is not obsessed with "perfection" - justified by, "Well, you DO want your work to be seen as the BEST... Don't you? well ... DON'T YOU???" - as if any other course of action was an unpardonable sin. He said it like I would have WANTED to say it.
    Brace yourselves, ye who would have me condemned to the lowest depths of the fire for daring to suggest that a "blown highlight" might be a useful "tool":

"The worst possible thing you can do is to waste your energy trying to get all the little, tiny bits right because when you get all those right the important things are wrong. So whenever I make something, I just try to get the big issues roughly correct, I have no interest in getting all the little things all precise. I don't really care if the thing is in register on press, I could care less. I don't care if there is a hickey. I care if they're not running enough ink, because thats the thing that controls how the picture looks. I hate it if they have plated badly and it gets flat. So my notion about craft is its a total waste of time to be chasing some notion of perfection when what we should be making is a roughly made object that serves its purpose well (my emphasis - ES). I want to carry out its intent."

Interesting stuff here. I will return to this site after an attempt to avoid a fate worse than death by return to my darkroom and doing what I SHOULD be doing right now.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another quote from Paul Caponigro's site... from an interview with Amy Arbus...
    Dealing with "mastery" of photography, and pre-visualization:

Amy Arbus:
    "I think I have spent my entire career trying to lasso photography, have some control over it, and know what I am going to get. But every time I thought I got exactly what I wanted to get, I'm completely disappointed."

Paul Caponigro:
    "Those `gifts' pull us beyond ourselves."

Amy Arbus:
    "Absolutely. So now the idea is to put myself in a situation where I have enough control to satisfy the task and to throw myself some sort of curve so that the image can happen. It doesn't always creep in there unless you give it some room to."

FASCINATING site!!!

I will not say that I necessarily agree with everything everyone has said here, but their individual comments and approaches to photography are worthy - more than worthy - MUCH more for consideration. Each of us are individuals, and to deny that individuality is, Im My Humble Opinion, a GRAVE error.

Eventually, to "grow" is to choose our own paths, and delight in following them. Frightening, to some extent, but considering the alternatives... slavinshly learning by rote ... or??

I'll follow the one I have chosen. I would rather be "frightened" (insecure? where is the boundary between being scared and being "thrilled"?).
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My statement: If you came here have a lookie at my "pikchures" They are the rectangles with the shiny glass in front of them. If you need directions ask the person passing out the wine from a box. This is not one of them.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin