Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,664   Posts: 1,668,938   Online: 815

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1014151617181920
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Interesting... I've had my D200 for about a year and am still learning it. It's one of the SLOWEST "learning tools" I've ever owned! And I can assure you, I wanted to learn it!
    My "learning tool" was a Rolleiflex TLR. It taught me a helluvalot more than the D200 ever has, and a lot quicker!
    Well, you need the right tool at the right time, and that's quite individual.

Digital holds little allure for me right now, but I'm hardly alone in crediting it for creating a hobby that I'd never have otherwise. And with instant feedback and free experimentation, I was able to learn extremely quickly.

I can envision the opposite scenario. I mean I never really understood what a camera was until I got my first view camera. That is a much different type of learning tool, and extremely effective. But sometimes you just need to take a lot of pictures and experiment until the camera becomes a sort of extension of yourself.
    Paul

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I keep hearing the words, digital allows us to shoot like crazy and then edit back to 10% for a completed assignment/job.
    Two things in my past come to mind that I think goes against this thinking.
    1.When I graduated from photo college my first job was at a wedding studio.
    My first day shooting solo on a wedding I was going to *suprise* my boss by overshooting and being creative, I brought two extra propacks along that was over the film I was given and used up all the film. All finished rolls were then put into a bundle and sent off to the lab and processed and proofed. Before the next wedding day we all had to look at the film with our boss. He almost fired me when he realized how much film I shot without capturing the *look* that was required for his shop.
    He taught me to control my trigger finger and spend more time composing and getting the right expression rather than random shooting.
    2.Does anyone here remember the National Geographic image of the flying bat poised to swallow a frog on a lilly pad?
    I cannot imagine how much time/genius/energy/patience that went into that shot.
    That one image is stlll in my mind and if there ever was a case for creativity over equipment that would be it.
    I wish I could direct you all to the image , but I can't *maybe someone here could* but that image could just as easily been shot on a digital dslr, or a manual film camera , it would be strong either way.
    This thread goes on and on , *so am I* but I think Lees original point about young photographers and their digital cameras and lack of knowlege , pisses off those of us who are new to photography , because I know thirst for knowlege was and is strong in me, as well some of the experienced folks here know he is right about learning the basics.
    This is an endless pissing contest as Drew points out, but maybe our energys would be better served by working on tutorials for this site which spells out all the basics and different theorys of photography from light, developement, colour theory. We could satisfy all our needs.
    The old farts here can take credit for passing on their knowlege,
    and the young newbies can feed from the vast knowlege base provided.

From day one joining APUG , I have seen this possibility and I believe it would be the most enduring and benificial part of belonging to this niche community.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    My first day shooting solo on a wedding I was going to *suprise* my boss by overshooting and being creative, I brought two extra propacks along that was over the film I was given and used up all the film. All finished rolls were then put into a bundle and sent off to the lab and processed and proofed. Before the next wedding day we all had to look at the film with our boss. He almost fired me when he realized how much film I shot.
    For his first wedding assignment, my father was given ten glass plates and told not to waste any. A few years later, he was allowed a whole roll of 120 film!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many years ago, when I bought a 4x5, I had big plans to shoot a lot of transparencies and become a famous nature photographer (right!). I bought a lot of packages of mylar film preservers to hold the thousands of brilliant photos I was going to make. By the time some SOB stole that camera a few years later, I still had not opened the more than 3-4 of those packages. Color transparency film and processing meant about $3.00 (at that time) for every photo I made--good or bad. I couldn't afford to shoot bad pictures at that price.

Shooting a lot of exposures does work for a lot of photographers. If it works--it works. Can't argue with it at all. Others only make exposures when the subject interests them and the light is right. That can work too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a scary thought, start a "photo business" with a digi P&S...

From Craigslist...
    I have a Canon A640 PowerShot with an additional high resolution Flash used once in the house.. I have the box, manual. I am starting a photo business and didnt get the right camera..

At least they have the good sense to figure out that something else may be more appropriate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Here's a scary thought, start a "photo business" with a digi P&S...

From Craigslist...
    I have a Canon A640 PowerShot with an additional high resolution Flash used once in the house.. I have the box, manual. I am starting a photo business and didnt get the right camera..

At least they have the good sense to figure out that something else may be more appropriate.
    Well they have a camera doesn't that make them a "photographer"? That's all you need to be a pro right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photo business" could mean as little as snapshots of houses for realtors or an image inventory of household goods for isnurance purposes.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyle Thomas View Post
    [I] The problem is not the camera, it is the photographer.

Doyle
    BINGO

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin