Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,243   Online: 817

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mind-blowing software with equally troubling potential for misuse...

Here is something to put in your philosophical pipe and smoke:

Photosynth

The potential issues of privacy, copyright and data persistence this software raises are staggering.

Even more reasons to consider establishing an isolated intranet with strict access policies for archives (personal or otherwise) of imagery that are sensitive in one way or another; it doesn't matter if they are digital-born or scans of film or paper.

One would hope that enterprising young hackers (not crackers) are, at this moment, devising ways to defeat and regulate how and what this technology can automatically assimilate.

Seems the Copyright Commons should address this with a "dynamic linking" metadata tag that implements the shades of given rights into Photosynth's automatic assimilation protocol.

Guess the only safe bet is, if you don't want it stolen/snagged/incorporated, don't post it on the Net...

Sean, any way to protect the APUG galleries from this technology?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Guess the only safe bet is, if you don't want it stolen/snagged/incorporated, don't post it on the Net...
    Correct.

Apart from that, it looks like an amazing piece of software!

Greetings,
    G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just looked at the video, very disturbing. Have the developers acknowledged the implications...?. Not in the video.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It reminds me of the Eco or Borges story about people doing a 1:1 map of reality. Forget "virtual reality" that was a buzzword of the 90s. Now, we're in the process of doing a fine-grained copy of reality.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have seen this for a while, our work execs were quite excited.

I find it dull. New ways to use technology to make things less meaningful and duller.

Seadragon:
    "arrange them any way we want" == "any way the software wants" -- NOT "any way you want"

Photosynth:
    "greater than the sum of the parts" == "homogenized real estate photos" -- let's be sure to remove all people, story, meaning, interpretation, age, flavor, charm. Images are not pictures, they're just data for [our] dataset.

Linked by tags -- what if the tag was: happiness instead of Ile de la Cite? Gee, the software returned an ERROR!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know there are lots of implications, copyright, selected views of things, etc, etc, but holy crap! What a piece of software. Mind you another typical piece of innovation from microsoft. Some one else builds it, they buy it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sean, any way to protect the APUG galleries from this technology?
    It would be pretty difficult for this system to use our gallery images because the gallery is closed to subscribers. They would have to register and subscribe a bot to get in and rip the data..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One potential issue I see is that if information is condensed in such a small area will there ever be times you were expected to zoom into section 3, subsection 2 of 3, then to subsection 5 of 3 to read some fine print.. "sorry sir we don't cover that anymore, it was in the synthmodule that you read and agreed to it's terms" huh? I didn't see it.. "well, you must not have zoomed in enough sir"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Images are not pictures, they're just data for [our] dataset.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's wonderful.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin