Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,530   Posts: 1,543,968   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right. If someone asked a risky photographer in advance if they were willing to die for a photograph, I bet most would say no.

I'm the same way with my job. I do medical work in Africa every couple of years, and I'm willing to take all the inherent risks. I would never say I'm willing to die in order to do it. But I am willing to risk malaria, waterborne disease, tuberculosis, political instability, crime, and dangerous roads and vehicles in order to do it.

Perhaps it's a rationalization, but the distinction can change your behavior.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in high school we studied Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which presumes that we must meet our physiological needs before our psycological needs. Last on the list of presumed needs was self-actualization. Even at that young age I knew students - artists and musicians who would eschew meals, sleep and other comforts in pursuit of their passion. It seemed, that at least in terms of artists, Maslow had it wrong.

Later, when I was at university as a music major it seemed that even more of my peers would live for and through their art. A couple of people I knew well followed their art to the point of physical and emotional collapse. These were not thrill seekers or adrenaline junkies, they were simply artists who forgot that there were other things necessary to life than art.

On the subject of risk takers, I often think of the words of Helen Keller:

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure."

As for me, I would not presume to name myself an artist in this sense. I love arts, and devote much of my energies and many hours of my life to them. For me, that is enough.

Regards,
    Last edited by Toffle; 06-17-2007 at 09:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am working on a solarization photographic which started about 5years ago.
    I walk to work and everyday and backed up to my work is a metal crushing plant.
    For years I passed this place and saw all the crushed metal and thought that it could be interesting.
    I started to go in through the fence and photographing the metal on the yard floor on weekends when the workers were not there.
    I was able to do this for a few years on Sundays and no one new better. Until about two months ago I was caught in the yard by security. Basically they yelled at me and asked what the hell I was doing there. Sheephishly I responded *just taking pictures.*
    They were on the outside of the fence and I was inside. When they made moves to come inside I hightailed it through the backway to my lab and hid like a chickenshit.
    I am still going to breakin but I have to let time heal their memorys and next time I will have a lookout. Now that I have started I have to finish.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Toffle,

It's always struck me that Maslow was painting with a brush so broad as to verge upon the bleedin' obvious, i.e. this hierarchy doesn't apply to all people at all times, but it's a fair rule of thumb for most societies. Colin Wilson takes the argument further in a couple of his books but it looks to me as if he his merely using it as a convenient peg on which to hang his other theories. The point is that in the long run your fellow students already had shelter, food and companionship and could therefore afford to indulge themselves. If they had been sleeping rough, hungry and lonely, I doubt they'd have devoted quite so much time to their art.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My new plan is to just have a supermodel as a girlfriend. I will make snaps of her sprawling across the sofa and coyly peeking from under the covers, and become famous. Just put the camera on "P."

It's hard work and requires a lot of 24/7 attention and administration, but I think it's a good strategy.

(PS: it is hard to make more pictures when dead. We each give in our own way)
    Last edited by bjorke; 06-17-2007 at 03:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have devoted my life to photography in one way or another. Several times I have put my life on the line (so to speak) in order to get a photograph, as you can see in the aerial photos in my gallery. I have been in or near exploding planes, missiles and bombs to get the pictures I wanted. Most of the time I was so startled, I missed the picture of the year. Many times I was caught without my camera.

I worked at Kodak for 32 years to bring out new products for you guys who love film, and now I'm trying to pass on my know-how in emulsion making and coating.

For this, the thanks I get are people who call me a fraud, a liar and a fake. I even hear that some people claim that I have lied about my background.

It is quite strange to me that people feel so threatened by my work that they must start a campaign of nasty comments circulating in e-mail and PMs behind my back. I find it odd that they go to other forums and post nasty comments about my work.

This kind of attack only adds to the stress level, so in that regard I continue to give my life, day by day, to the cause of analog photography.

Sorry for the rant. It is just that I never knew what kind of people I was trying to help. I know it is a minority, but nevertheless it is disturbing. I truly hope that the master photographers out there are not subject to this sort of thing.

PE

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    For this, the thanks I get are people who call me a fraud, a liar and a fake. I even hear that some people claim that I have lied about my background.
    PE, please don't ever think that your postings are not appreciated. I for one, if I see a post by PE, I know it will be relevant and authoritative.

When PE talks, people listen! Please don't forget this.

It is quite strange to me that people feel so threatened by my work that they must start a campaign of nasty comments circulating in e-mail and PMs behind my back.
    One thing there is about this world is that there will always be more equine derrieres than there will be equines. I guess there is no law against being a total jerk, so unfortunately jerks will keep on being jerks.

I find it odd that they go to other forums and post nasty comments about my work.
    On the forums (fora?) I visit (and I admit that I do not read those that are known to have a high noise level) your name is held with great respect.

If anybody speaks ill of you, it's most likely a form of immature envy.

I worked at Kodak for 32 years to bring out new products for you guys who love film, and now I'm trying to pass on my know-how in emulsion making and coating.
    What I really wish you would do is write a book, maybe even a compendium of articles you've posted here over the years.

I for one appreciate your efforts. Even though I will probably never mix an emulsion or coat paper or film, I follow the write-ups and photos of your workshops, and because of this I have a strong appreciation of the effort and the precision it takes to produce a quality film and photographic paper.

But back to the subject ... No, no photograph is worth the price of a farm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Putting your life on the line in an inherently dangerous situation (like Photo Engineer's aerials) is vastly different from "willing to die" to get the right photograph. The former is courageous (to a point), and the latter is just plain idiotic.

There's very little in this life worth dying for, and photography is just not one of those things.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Somehow I feel that this has drifted off what I think was first posted. Yes at one point in my life I lived in my van and and worked as cook in truck stops so that I could afford to take photographs. My 8X10 Deardorff a couple of lenses and a box of film was ALL there was in life. Yes, I was reasonably successful after many years, but that was not the reason to take photographs. I had a passion to find the perfect lighting (light was to me the most important part of any photograph, not what I photographed). I would spend days to get the perfect light. But, at some part I lost the passion and got out of photography. Now, 25 years later, I am trying to regain that passion. I just dug out my large format and am now trying to chase the light. Money and comfort has never been my interest. It has never made me feel alive like when you produce a great photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whoaa!! I thought the post said "wife", and I stressed out for a minute
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin