Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,451   Online: 1145

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    Yes, but those reasons have become very narrowly and strictly bounded and you'd better be prepared to wear them on your sleeve if you want to avoid being challenged.

I've been doing a mini project on photographing garage sales and have twice now been given permission to take shots so long as I don't get the kids of the house in-frame. Fine with me, but the one time in particular when a little girl was told to hide behind a tree, I was really struck by i how out of control things have gotten. It's become ridiculous.
    Point taken.... so you think "making art" won't fly as a good reason??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    suzanne,

as someone who used to photograph baseball games for "the league"
    parents do bat an eye when there is a male with a camera,
    and this was 15 years ago before d*** ... even more recently
    when i worked for a weekly, and i was shooting with a D**,
    at first they don't mind because they think they might
    be "famous" ( ¡¡¡ HAHAHA !!!) but people always mind if they or their
    kids are in some "man's camera" ... as a parent of 3 kids,
    if i see a stranger taking their photographs, i approach them,
    and at my kids' schools teachers, and parents have approached me ...

unfortunately, men always get scrutinized about this sort of thing more than
    their female counterparts.

good luck !

john
    Fair enough, John. I tend, myself, to be more leery around strangers in, say, a shopping mall.

When we are at the local pool or soccer game I know many of the parents... lots with video and still cameras, and I haven't seen anyone asked to stop.

I do think the local newspaper photog may get more scrutiny, but he's shown up at so many events he's pretty well known among the local parents at this point, and I see him going about his business at lots of local events where there are kids present without any hassle.

Granted... if he were to show up at the local playground for no particular event, I'm sure he'd get hassled. As would any stranger with a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Suzanne,

You know, the most galling thing isn't that photographing kids is out of bounds, because they're not really a great photographic interest for me. It's that on the rare occasions I'm tempted, I have to do it on the sly and come away feeling like the very pervert the parents would suspect me of being. Like I've done something really nasty and dirty.

And while on the topic (though not entirely related) digital has made violators of all of us who've adopted a hybrid work flow. Intimacy takes on whole new meaning once you've scanned a 4x5 portrait at 2400 DPI and dustbusted on the near pixel level.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Takeover

Quote Originally Posted by bogeyes View Post
    My youngest son plays under 9s soccer in the UK, I was going to take a few photographs of him playing. So I asked the coach if he had any objections, he said he hadn't but I had better clear it with all the coaching staff and all the parents of both teams. In the end I did not bother it was just too much hassel. Its been my first season as a junior soccer spectator I did not see any parents with a camera of any kind take a photograph at any of the 24 games I watched. Do you think that people are worried that they will be accussed of being a paedophile if they photograph children? Are you free to take photographs of children participating in team sports in your part of the world and would you feel comfortable as the photographer?
    The lunatics have taken over the asylum bogeyes , I read a report in a UK newspaper recently about a woman in a village recently whose house was besieged by the local population because she was listed in the phone book as a paediatrician!. I think a lot of the fear and ignorance is whipped up by the media because it's good for circulation or viewing figures.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Point taken.... so you think "making art" won't fly as a good reason??
    More serioulsy, "Making Art" in Québec is not an excuse to take the photograph of anyone without their consent if they are recognizable on the picture. Public interest is the only legally valid reason for doing so.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I think a lot of the fear and ignorance is whipped up by the media because it's good for circulation or viewing figures.
    I've long thought that an ideal headline would be,

ALARMISM: IS IT THE BIGGEST THREAT FACING THE WORLD TODAY?

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting thread - and to think that the big buyers of all those new-fangled DSLRs include soccer dads. Boy, are THEY in for a big surprise when they go to the first game and pull out their digi-widget! :o

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post

When we are at the local pool or soccer game I know many of the parents... lots with video and still cameras, and I haven't seen anyone asked to stop.

I do think the local newspaper photog may get more scrutiny, but he's shown up at so many events he's pretty well known among the local parents at this point, and I see him going about his business at lots of local events where there are kids present without any hassle.
    yeah -
    you know everyone there, it is a bit easier ...

even though by the end of the season i was known
    (by all 72 teams), and people expected me to take
    photographs of "their kid" i was still harrassed
    by the baseball commissioner's wife ...

nope ... won't do that job again ...

just the same, YOUR second x chromosome helps quite a bit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Funny...
    I have two boys (ages 6 and 11). Both very active in sports. I take my 35mm gear with me every time I go to one of their games. I have photographs of them playing t-ball, baseball, soccer and basketball. It has never once even occurred to me that somebody might be uncomfortable with me photographing my kids in a public place.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Funny...
    I have two boys (ages 6 and 11). Both very active in sports. I take my 35mm gear with me every time I go to one of their games. I have photographs of them playing t-ball, baseball, soccer and basketball. It has never once even occurred to me that somebody might be uncomfortable with me photographing my kids in a public place.
    I forgot to mention that its not photographing your own kids that is the problem, some people are paranoid that in a team sport their kids will included in your photographs even if they are only in the background.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin